The Theory and Econometrics of Health Information in Cross-Sectional Nutrient Demand Analysis
AbstractUnderstanding the role of health information in food and nutrient demand has become an important issue over the last decade. Endogeneity and measurement error are two empirical problems that are inherent in this type of analysis. While some type of instrumental variables estimation would appear the obvious solution, this article provides several theoretical and empirical reasons why this is not the case in cross-sectional analysis. An alternative estimation strategy is pursued, an empirical example is given, and the implications are discussed. Copyright 2001, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 83 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Park, Jaehong & Davis, George C., 2000. "The Theory And Econometrics Of Health Information In Cross-Sectional Nutrient Demand Analysis," Faculty Paper Series 24015, Texas A&M University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yen, Steven T. & Lin, Biing-Hwan & Davis, Christopher G., 2008. "Consumer knowledge and meat consumption at home and away from home," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 631-639, December.
- Mancino, Lisa & Dietz, Brian, 2002. "Intentions, Information, and Convenience: An Empirical Analysis of their Effect on the American Diet and Demand for Meat," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24944, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lazarus, Sheryl S. & McCullough, Gerard J., 2005. "The Impact of Outsourcing on Efficiency in Rural and Nonrural School Districts: The Case of Pupil Transportation in Minnesota," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 35(1).
- Øvrum, Arnstein & Alfnes, Frode & Almli, Valérie L. & Rickertsen, Kyrre, 2012. "Health information and diet choices: Results from a cheese experiment," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 520-529.
- Mancino, Lisa & Kinsey, Jean D., 2008. "Is Dietary Knowledge Enough? Hunger, Stress, and Other Roadblocks to Healthy Eating," Economic Research Report 56465, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Boizot-Szantai, Christine & Etile, Fabrice, 2005. "The Food Prices / Body Mass Index Relationship: Theory and Evidence from a Sample of French Adults," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24734, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Huang, Ju-Chin & Haab, Timothy C. & Whitehead, John C., 2004. "Risk Valuation in the Presence of Risky Substitutes: An Application to Demand for Seafood," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Carlson, Andrea & Lino, Mark & Fungwe, Thomas V. & Guenther, Patricia M., 2009. "Eating a Healthy Diet: Is Cost a Major Factor?," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49259, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Pedro A. Alviola & Oral Capps, 2010. "Household demand analysis of organic and conventional fluid milk in the United States based on the 2004 Nielsen Homescan panel," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(3), pages 369-388.
- Mancino, Lisa & Kuchler, Fred, 2006. "Estimating the Impact of Medication on Diabetics' Diet and Lifestyle Choices," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21459, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Fabrice Etilé, 2006. "Who does the hat fit? Teenager heterogeneity and the effectiveness of information policies in preventing cannabis use and heavy drinking," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(7), pages 697-718.
- Mancino, Lisa, 2002. "The Roles Of Beliefs, Information, And Convenience In The American Diet," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19837, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mancino, Lisa & Carlson, Andrea, 2005. "Factors Affecting Grain Consumption: Evidence from 1999-2002 NHANES Survey Data," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19529, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- You, Wen & Davis, George C. & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr. & McIntosh, Alex, 2005. "Parental Time and Children's Obesity Measures," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19386, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Xue, Hong & Mainville, Denise Y. & You, Wen & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 2009. "Nutrition Knowledge, Sensory Characteristics and Consumers’ Willingness to Pay for Pasture-Fed Beef," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49277, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- You, Wen & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 2003. "Impact Of Food Away From Home On Children'S Diet," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22239, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Richards, Timothy J. & Mancino, Lisa, 2012. "Demand for Food Away from Home: A Multiple Discrete/Continuous Extreme Value Model," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 127103, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fabrice Etile, 2013. "L'Ã©conomie des consommations Ã risques au miroir des politiques de santÃ© publique," Working Papers 221515, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Kristen Capogrossi & Wen You, 2013. "Academic Performance and Childhood Misnourishment: A Quantile Approach," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 141-156, June.
- Kinsey, Jean D. & Mancino, Lisa, 2002. "Diet Quality And Calories Consumed: The Impact Of Being Hungrier, Busier And Eating Out," Working Papers 14324, University of Minnesota, The Food Industry Center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.