The Joint Influence of Agricultural and Nonfarm Factors on Real Estate Values: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Region
AbstractCounty level farmland and residential housing values are estimated for the Mid-Atlantic region as a function of farm returns, developed land values, household incomes, population densities, and location. Results are based on the hypothesis that farmland owners anticipate land development and that nonfarm factors are important determinants of farmland prices. Response of farmland prices to change in farm returns is found to be inelastic and relatively uniform in rural and urban counties. Response to nonfarm factors is found to be more elastic and substantially greater in rural counties. Copyright 2001, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 83 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bell, Kathleen P. & Irwin, Elena G., 2002. "Spatially explicit micro-level modelling of land use change at the rural-urban interface," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 217-232, November.
- Jakob B Madsen, 2011. "A q Model of House Prices," Monash Economics Working Papers 03-11, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Katchova, Ani L. & Sherrick, Bruce J. & Barry, Peter J., 2002. "The Effects Of Risk On Farmland Values And Returns," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19660, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Livanis, Grigorios T. & Moss, Charles B. & Breneman, Vincent E. & Nehring, Richard F., 2005. "Urban Sprawl and Farmland Prices," Working Papers 15657, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Abler, David G., 2004. "Multifunctionality, Agricultural Policy, and Environmental Policy," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 33(1), April.
- Feichtinger, Paul & Salhofer, Klaus, 2011. "The Valuation of Agricultural Land and the Influence of Government Payments," Factor Markets Working Papers 112, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Oltmer, Katrin & Florax, Raymond J.G.M., 2001. "Impacts Of Agricultural Policy Reform On Land Prices: A Quantitative Analysis Of The Literature," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20507, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pierre Wavresky & Mohamed Hilal & Jean Cavailhès, 2011. "L’influence urbaine sur le prix des terres agricoles et ses conséquences pour l’agriculture," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 444(1), pages 99-125.
- Liu, Xiangping & Lynch, Lori, 2006. "Do Agricultural Preservation Programs Affect Farmland Conversion? Evidence from a Propensity Score Matching Estimator," Working Papers 28569, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Weerahewa, Jeevika & Meilke, Karl D. & Vyn, Richard J. & Haq, Zahoor Ul, 2008. "The Determinants of Farmland Values in Canada," Working Papers 43461, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Plantinga, Andrew & Lubowski, Ruben & Stavins, Robert, 2002.
"The Effects of Potential Land Development on Agricultural Land Prices,"
Working Paper Series
rwp02-012, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Plantinga, Andrew J. & Lubowski, Ruben N. & Stavins, Robert N., 2002. "The effects of potential land development on agricultural land prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 561-581, November.
- Stavins, Robert & Plantinga, Andrew & Lubowski, Ruben, 2002. "The Effects of Potential Land Development on Agricultural Land Prices," Discussion Papers dp-02-11-, Resources For the Future.
- Lambert, Dayton M. & Griffin, Terry W., 2004. "Analysis Of Government Farm Subsidies On Farmland Cash Rental Rates Using A Fixed Effect Spatial Distributed Lag Model And A Translog Cost Model," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19977, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Langpap, Christian & Hascic, Ivan & Wu, JunJie, 2006. "Predicting Watershed Ecosystems Through Targeted Local Land Use Policies," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21262, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Vance, Colin & Iovanna, Rich, 2003. "Assessing The Joint Influence Of Ecological And Socioeconomic Determinants Of Increases In The Built-Environment: A Study Of Trends In Central North Carolina," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21983, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jean CavailhÃ‹s & Isabelle Thomas, 2011. "The influence of urban sprawl on farmland prices in Belgium (refereed paper)," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1628, European Regional Science Association.
- Jones, Kelly J. & Lust, David G. & Brooks, Kathleen R. & Vestal, Mallory K., 2013. "Cost Effectiveness Of On-Farm Semi-Confinement Systems For Cow-Calf Production," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 143089, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Uematsu, Hiroki & Mishra, Ashok K., 2012. "The Impact of Natural Amenity on Farmland Values: A Quantile Regression Approach," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119804, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Reed, L.L. & Kleynhans, Theo E., 2009. "Agricultural land purchases for alternative uses â€“ evidence from two farming areas in the Western Cape province, South Africa," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 48(3), September.
- Lynch, Lori, 2003. "Do Agricultural Preservation Programs And Preferential Property Tax Programs Affect Farmland Conversion?," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22100, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lynch, Lori & Gray, Wayne & Geoghegan, Jacqueline, 2007. "An Evaluation of Working Land and Open Space Preservation Programs in Maryland: Are They Paying Too Much?," Working Papers 6887, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Lynch, Lori & Carpenter, Janet, 2002. "Does The Farm Sector Have A Critical Mass?," Working Papers 28552, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Wu, JunJie & Cho, Seong-Hoon, 2007. "The effect of local land use regulations on urban development in the Western United States," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 69-86, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.