Financial Structure of Farm Businesses under Imperfect Capital Markets
AbstractRecent finance studies have considered whether gaps between a firm's costs of internal and external sources of investment funds, arising from capital market imperfections, influence its investment behavior and funding preferences. This study tests the applicability of the pecking order and partial adjustment theories of financial structure to farm businesses by fitting a set of simultaneous financial equations with farm panel data from Illinois. Model results indicate that Illinois farms adjust to long-run financial targets for equity, debt, and leasing, but that additional financing needs follow a pecking order that is stronger for farms with greater asymmetric information problems Copyright 2000, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anastassiadis, Friederike & Liebe, Ulf & Musshoff, Oliver, 2012. "Finanzielle Flexibilität In Landwirtschaftlichen Investitionsentscheidungen: Ein Discrete Choice Experiment," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137142, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Ahearn, Mary Clare & Collender, Robert N. & Diao, Xinshen & Harrington, David H. & Hoppe, Robert A. & Korb, Penelope J. & Makki, Shiva S. & Morehart, Mitchell J. & Roberts, Michael J. & Roe, Terry L. , 2004. "Decoupled Payments In A Changing Policy Setting," Agricultural Economics Reports 33981, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Petrick, Martin & Kloss, Mathias, 2012. "Drivers of agricultural capital productivity in selected EU member states," Factor Markets Working Papers 137, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Sporleder, Thomas L. & Moss, Leeann E., 2001. "Capital Structure Decisions Of U.S.-Based Food Processing Firms: A Transaction Cost Economics Perspective," Proceedings: 2001 Regional Committee NC-221, October 1-2, 2001, McLean, Virginia 132394, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Micheels, Eric T. & Katchova, Ani L. & Barry, Peter J., 2004. "Machinery Investment in Illinois: A Study Examining Existing Investment Motivations," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20374, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Silke Hüttel & Oliver Mußhoff & Martin Odening & Nataliya Zinych, 2008. "Estimating Investment Equations in Imperfect Capital Markets," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-016, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Katchova, Ani L. & Nam, Sangjeong, 2005. "Credit Risk Migration Analysis Focused on Farm Business Characteristics and Business Cycles," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19451, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Chaddad, Fabio Ribas & Cook, Michael L., 2002. "Testing For The Presence Of Financial Constraints In U.S," Working Papers 26045, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Chaddad, Fabio Ribas & Cook, Michael L., 2001. "Testing For The Presence Of Financial Constraints In Agricultural Cooperatives," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20746, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Curtiss, Jarmila & Petrick, Martin & Balmann, Alfons, 2005. "Beiträge des 3. Doktorandenworkshops zur Agrarentwicklung in Mittel- und Osteuropa 2005," IAMO Discussion Papers 83, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Chaddad, Fabio Ribas & Heckelei, Thomas, 2003. "Access To Capital And Firm-Level Investment Behavior In Food Industries: A Comparison Of Cooperatives And Publicly Traded Firms," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22205, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hadrich, Joleen C. & Larsen, Ryan A. & Olson, Frayne E., 2012. "Incentives for Machinery Investment," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124897, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Bakhshi, Samira & Kerr, William A., 2009. "Is There Supply Distortion In The Green Box? An Acreage Response Approach," Working Papers 51093, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.