Inventory Dynamics under Transaction Costs
AbstractA conceptual model of storage behavior is developed. Optimal intertemporal pricing is derived to analyze the effects of transaction costs on storage andarbitrage pricing. It is shown how transaction costs can rationalize the existence of an inverse carrying charge for inventory. The model is applied to U.S. soybeans stocks for the period 1960–95. The empirical results suggest that transaction costs have a significant influence on storage behavior andintertemporal arbitrage pricing. Copyright 2000, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ruijs, Arjan & Schweigman, Caspar & Lutz, Clemens, 2004. "The impact of transport- and transaction-cost reductions on food markets in developing countries: evidence for tempered expectations for Burkina Faso," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 219-228, December.
- Carbonez, Katelijne & Nguyen, Thi Tuong Van & Sercu, Piet, 2010. "Do inventories really yield a convenience? An empirical analysis of the cost-adjusted basis," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/262180, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Garcia, Philip & Irwin, Scott H., 2006. "Do Interest Rates Explain Disaggregate Commodity Price Growth?," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21319, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Carbonez, Katelijne & Nguyen, Thi Tuong Van & Sercu, Piet, 2010. "Measuring scarcity in agricultural markets, 1900-200: The shifting informativeness of price v storage data," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/264567, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Nguyen, Thi Tuong Van & Carbonez, Katelijne & Sercu, Piet, 2010. "Remodeling the Working-Kaldor curve: the roles of scarcity, time to maturity and time to harvest," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/264574, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Murray-Prior, Roy B. & Wright, Vic, 2001. "Influence of strategies and heuristics on farmers’ response to change under uncertainty," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(4), December.
- Lin, Hua & Fortenbery, T. Randall, 2006. "Risk Premiums and the Storage of Agricultural Commodities," Staff Paper Series 504, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.