Unilateral Resource Management in a Two-Country General Equilibrium Model of Trade in a Renewable Fishery Resource
AbstractWe explore the effects of free trade in a renewable natural resource between two countries in the presence of incomplete property rights. While resource management by one country may benefit one or both trading partners, we demonstrate that resource management by only one of the partners may reduce welfare for both, when compared to the case in which neither manages its resource sector. These trade-induced losses may be reduced through import tariffs and production subsidies on the resource good or by permitting harvest beyond the rent-maximizing level. Our preliminary work suggests that the World Trade Organization (WTO) and North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) policy makers should not always insist on free trade and resource management. Rather, they must pay careful attention to the particular relationships between trade conditions and natural resource policies among trading nations. Copyright 2000, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- TAKARADA Yasuhiro, 2009. "Transboundary Renewable Resource and International Trade," Discussion papers 09041, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Eppink, Florian V. & van den Bergh, Jeroen C.J.M., 2007. "Ecological theories and indicators in economic models of biodiversity loss and conservation: A critical review," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 284-293, March.
- TAKARADA Yasuhiro, 2010. "Shared Renewable Resource and International Trade: Technical measures for fisheries management," Discussion papers 10035, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Yasuhiro Takarada & Weijia Dong & Takeshi Ogawa, 2011. "Shared Renewable Resource and International Trade: Technical Measures for Resource Management," ERSA conference papers ersa11p449, European Regional Science Association.
- Bergeron, Nancy, 2002. "International Trade and Conservation with Costly Natural Resource Management," Cahiers de recherche 0204, GREEN.
- Nielsen, Max, 2006. "Trade liberalisation, resource sustainability and welfare: The case of East Baltic cod," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 650-664, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.