Simple Nonparametric Tests of Technological Change: Theory and Application to U.S. Agriculture
AbstractSeveral nonparametric tests of technological change are proposed conditional on alternative maintained behavioral assumptions. The tests are simple as they require verification of axioms via binary comparisons that are analogous to those of the revealed preference theory. Our model allows a broad interpretation of technological changes, yet trivial rationalization of the data with either profit-maximization or cost-minimization behavior is excluded. The tests are applied to study the U.S. aggregate agricultural data, supporting the hypotheses of rankable and neutral Technological Variations. Copyright 1999, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 81 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anderson, John D. & Thompson, W. Michael, II & Ibendahl, Gregory A. & Laughlin, David H., 2006. "The Effects of Changing Technology: The Impacts of a Changing Cost Structure on Land Tenure Arrangements in the Mississippi Delta, 1996 - 2004," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21178, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Natalia Aldaz & Joaquín A. Millán, 2003. "A Comparison of Agricultural Productivity in the European Union Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa03p223, European Regional Science Association.
- Joaquín Millán & Natalia Aldaz, 2004. "Efficiency and Technical Change in Intertemporal Intersectoral DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 7-23, January.
- Ibendahl, Gregory A. & Anderson, John D. & Thompson, W. Michael, II & Hudson, Darren, 2007. "The Impacts of GM Seed Technology on Cotton: Cost of Production in Mississippi, 1996 - 2005," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34856, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Aldaz, Natalia & Millan, Joaquin A., 2003. "Analisis Malmquist y DEA intertermporal de las agriculturas de la Union Europea," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(06).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.