Testing Homogeneity in the Linearized Almost Ideal Demand System
AbstractThe behavior of exact tests for homogeneity (F and Hotelling T-super-2) is compared with size-adjusted LR tests in the linearized AIDS model with different approximating price indexes (Stone, Paasche, Laspeyres). The Monte Carlo evidence shows that test size distortions are sensitive to the correlation structure of prices, the time-series properties of the data, and the choice of price index. None of the results explains the persistent over-rejection of homogeneity in applied work. Copyright 1998, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 80 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dhar, Tirtha Pratim & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Cotterill, Ronald W. & Gould, Brian W., 2002.
"An Econometric Analysis of Brand Level Strategic Pricing Between Coca Cola and Pepsi Inc,"
25231, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Tirtha Pratim Dhar & Jean-Paul Chavas & Ronald W. Cotterill & Brian W. Gould, 2002. "An Econometric Analysis of Brand Level Strategic Pricing Between Coca Cola and Pepsi Inc," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 065, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Meyerhoefer, Chad D. & Ranney, Christine K. & Sahn, David E., 2003. "Consistent Estimation Of Longitudinal Censored Demand Systems: An Application To Transition Country Data," Working Papers 127252, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Chang, Hui-Shung (Christie) & Bettington, Nicholas, 2001. "Demand for Wine in Australia: Systems Versus Single Equation Approach," Working Papers 12923, University of New England, School of Economics.
- Holt, Matthew T. & Goodwin, Barry K., 2009. "The Almost Ideal and Translog Demand Systems," MPRA Paper 15092, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chang, Hui-Shung (Christie), 2000. "An econometric analysis of the competitive position of Australian cotton in the Japanese market," Working Papers 12940, University of New England, School of Economics.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T. & Beatty, Timothy K. M. & Pope, Rulon D, 2004.
"Building Gorman's nest,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
0961, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T. & Beatty, Timothy K. M. & Pope, Rulon D., 2004. "Building Gorman's Nest," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt2ws698td, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Rulon D. Pope & Jeffrey T. LaFrance & Timothy K. M.Beatty, 2004. "Building Gorman's Nest," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 26, Econometric Society.
- LaFrance, J. T. & Beatty, T. K. M. & Pope, R. D. & Agnew, G. K., 2002. "Information theoretic measures of the income distribution in food demand," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 235-257, March.
- Christopher J. O'Donnell & Alicia N. Rambaldi & Howard E. Doran, 2001. "Estimating economic relationships subject to firm- and time-varying equality and inequality constraints," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(6), pages 709-726.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 2004. "Integrability of the linear approximate almost ideal demand system," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 297-303, September.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2008:i:14:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tiffin, J. Richard & Balcombe, Kelvin George, 2003. "Testing Symmetry And Homogeneity In The Aids With Cointegrated Data Using Fully-Modified Estimation And The Bootstrap," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25845, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J., 2000. "Estimating The Characteristics Of Homogeneous Functionsusing Flexible Functional Forms," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 123713, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Meyerhoefer, Chad D. & Ranney, Christine K. & Sahn, David E., 2004. "Consistent Estimation Of Longitudinal Censored Demand Systems," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19992, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Manami Ogura, 2008. "The examination of the validity of the Divisia price index for the almost ideal demand system model: Some Monte Carlo results," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(14), pages 1-10.
- Chang, Hui-Shung (Christie) & Nguyen, Chi, 2002. "The elasticity of demand for Australian cotton in Japan," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 46(1), March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.