Reforms, the Weather, and Productivity Growth in China's Grain Sector
AbstractWe use disaggregate county-level production data to study the effects of economic reform on China's grain production between 1980 and 1990. China's grain production area is divided into five regions based on geographic, agronomic, and meteorological criteria. Regional grain production functions are estimated, and weather is explicitly modeled. The institutional impact of economic reform was found to explain about 38% of the production growth from 1980 to 1985. This is lower than the estimates reported in many previous studies. Regional differences in efficiency gains from economic reform and in the effects of weather on grain production are found to be significant. Copyright 1997, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sheikh Selim & Naima Parvin, 2010. "Policy Reforms and Incentives in Rice Production in Bangladesh," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(1), pages 461-471.
- Ito, Junichi, 2010. "Inter-regional difference of agricultural productivity in China: Distinction between biochemical and machinery technology," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 394-410, September.
- Haizhi Tong & Lilyan E. Fulginiti, 2005. "Chinese Regional Agricultural Productivity in the 1990'a," Others 0502012, EconWPA.
- Alejandro Nin-Pratt & Bingxin Yu & Shenggen Fan, 2010. "Comparisons of agricultural productivity growth in China and India," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 209-223, June.
- Yang, Weiyong, 2009. "Economic structural changes and rural income: Evidence from Chinese provinces during the reform period," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 742-753, December.
- Viet-Ngu Hoang, 2011. "Analysis of Productive Performance of Crop and Animal Production Systems: An Integrated Analytical Framework," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 268, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Fan, Shenggen & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2004. "Infrastructure and regional economic development in rural China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 203-214.
- Paltasingh, Kirtti Ranjan & Goyari, Phanindra & Mishra, R.K., 2012. "Measuring Weather Impact on Crop Yield Using Aridity Index: Evidence from Odisha," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 25(2).
- Tong, Haizhi, 2002. "Chinese Regional Agricultural Productivity In The 1990'S," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19804, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Xin, Xiangfei & Qin, Fu, 2009. "Decomposition of Agricultural Labor Productivity Growth and its Regional Disparity in China," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51047, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tong, Haizhi & Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Sesmero, Juan P., 2009. "Chinese Regional Agricultural Productivity: 1994-2005," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51784, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Wu, Ziping & Merlean, Seamus, 2003. "Market efficiency in the reformed Chinese grain marketing system," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 115-130.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:30:y:2010:i:1:p:461-471 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dawe, D., 2002. "The changing structure of the world rice market, 1950-2000," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 355-370, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.