The Changing Values of the Cooperative and Its Business Focus
AbstractThis paper examines the range of objectives open to cooperative businesses and assesses the change in organizational focus over time through the semantic analysis of historical annual reports of seven agricultural cooperative businesses. The findings indicated that, although there was a positive relationship between business age and increasing corporate, as opposed to member, orientation, this phenomenon is not inevitable for all organizations. The results also offered evidence that some of the change in business focus is generated by the internal dynamics of the business rather than from external factors such as competition and economic trends. Copyright 1997, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lind, Lena W., 2011. "The Demutualization of a Cooperative - Swedish Meats," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114382, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Li, Feng & Hendrikse, George W.J., 2009. "CEO Compensation in Cooperatives versus Publicly Listed Firms," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51619, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hagerman, Amy D. & Leatham, David J. & Park, John L., 2005. "Impact of Perceptions and Practices on the Financial Performance of Texas Cooperatives," Proceedings: 2005 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition,October 3-4, 2005; Minneapolis, Minnesota 132753, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Bijman, W.J.J. & Hendrikse, G.W.J. & van Oijen, A.A.C.J., 2012. "Accommodating Two Worlds in One Organization: Changing Board Models in Agricultural Cooperatives," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2012-015-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Fulton, Murray E. & Gibbings, Julie, 2000. "Response And Adaption: Canadian Agricultural Co-Operatives In The 21st Century," Miscellaneous Publications 31768, University of Saskatchewan, Centre for the Study of Co-operatives.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.