Education in Production: Measuring Labor Quality and Management
AbstractProduction function studies have used the education of the head of the household or the average education of farm workers to assess the contribution of schooling to farm efficiency. In this paper I critically examine the information content of these measures by developing a team production model which suggests separate education measures to approximate labor quality and managerial skills. Empirical analyses based on Chinese farm household data show that the new measures are statistically superior to the existing alternatives. There is evidence of centralized decision making on the farms where the highest schooling contributes the most to production efficiency. Copyright 1997, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Yang, Dennis T., 1995. "Education in Production: Measuring Labor Quality and Management," Working Papers 95-56, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- J43 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Agricultural Labor Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Takashi Kurosaki & Humayun Khan, 2004. "Effects of Human Capital on Farm and Non-Farm Productivity and Occupational Stratification in Rural Pakistan," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d04-46, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- GOH, Chor-ching & LUO, Xubei & ZHU, Nong, 2009. "Income growth, inequality and poverty reduction: A case study of eight provinces in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 485-496, September.
- Liu, Zinan & Zhuang, Juzhong, 2000. "Determinants of Technical Efficiency in Post-Collective Chinese Agriculture: Evidence from Farm-Level Data," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 545-564, September.
- Chen, Zhuo & Huffman, Wallace & Rozelle, Scott, 2006.
"Farm Technology and Technical Efficiency: Evidence from Four Regions in China,"
Staff General Research Papers
12605, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Zhuo & Huffman, Wallace E. & Rozelle, Scott, 2009. "Farm technology and technical efficiency: Evidence from four regions in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 153-161, June.
- Chen, Zhuo & Eastwood, David B. & Yen, Steven T., 2005. "Childhood Malnutrition In China: Change Of Inequality In A Decade," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19205, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- World Bank, 2003. "Nigeria Poverty : Environmental Linkages in the Natural Resource Sector - Empirical Evidence from Nigerian Case Studies with Policy Implications and Recommendations," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14612, The World Bank.
- Yang, Dennis Tao, 2000.
"Education and Allocative Efficiency: Household Income Growth during Rural Reforms in China,"
00-17, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Tao Yang, Dennis, 2004. "Education and allocative efficiency: household income growth during rural reforms in China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 137-162, June.
- Asadullah, M. Niaz & Rahman, Sanzidur, 2006.
"Farm Productivity and Efficiency in Rural Bangladesh: The Role of Education Revisited,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25482, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- M. N. Asadullah & S. Rahman, 2009. "Farm productivity and efficiency in rural Bangladesh: the role of education revisited," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 17-33.
- M Niaz Asadullah & Sanzidur Rahman, 2005. "Farm productivity and efficiency in rural Bangladesh:The role of education revisited," CSAE Working Paper Series 2005-10, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- M. Niaz Asadullah & Sanzidur Rahman, 2005. "Farm productivity and efficiency in rural Bangladesh: The role of education revisited," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2005-10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Laszlo, Sonia, 2008.
"Education, Labor Supply, and Market Development in Rural Peru,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2421-2439, November.
- Sonia Laszlo, 2003. "Education, Labour Supply and Market Development in Rural Peru," Development and Comp Systems 0312005, EconWPA.
- Yang, Dennis T. & An, Mark Yuying, 1997.
"Human Capital, Entrereneurship, and Farm Household Earnings,"
97-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Yang, Dennis Tao & An, Mark Yuying, 2002. "Human capital, entrepreneurship, and farm household earnings," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 65-88, June.
- Glewwe, Paul, 2001. "Schools, Skills And Economic Development: Education Policies, Student Learning And Socioeconomic Outcomes In Developing Countries," Bulletins 12969, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Basu, Kaushik & Narayan, Ambar & Ravallion, Martin, 2001. "Is literacy shared within households? Theory and evidence for Bangladesh," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 649-665, December.
- Li, Tianyou & Zhang, Junsen, 1998. "Returns to education under collective and household farming in China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 307-335, August.
- Lohr, Luanne & Park, Timothy A., 2009. "Labor Pains: Valuing Seasonal versus Year-Round Labor on Organic Farms," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(2), August.
- Sonia Laszlo, 2005. "Self-employment earnings and returns to education in rural Peru," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(7), pages 1247-1287.
- Gee San & Tung-Chun Huang & Li-Hsuan Huang, 2006. "The Establishment and Application of a Labor Quality Index: The Case of Taiwan’s Manufacturing Industry," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 79(1), pages 61-96, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.