The Effect of Farm Supply Shifts on Concentration and Market Power in the Food Processing Sector
AbstractIn this paper we examine the marginal impact of changing farm supply on the market structure of the downstream food processing sector. We develop a theoretical model that allows for cost differences among processors and endogenizes downstream entry and exit. Comparative statics results are consistent with several well-established trends in the food processing sector. In particular, the analysis demonstrates that increasing concentration in the food processing sector is consistent with decreasing market power. Indeed, we find that when the farm supply curve shifts outward, an increase in concentration can only occur when there is a decrease in market power. Copyright 1997, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bontems, Philippe & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra, 2003.
"Predatory Accommodation In Vertical Contracting With Externalities,"
2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada
22044, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bontems, P. & Bouamra-Mechemache, Z., 2004. "Predatory accomodation in vertical contracting with externalities," Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse) 200402, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Philippe Bontems & Nicolas Gruyer, 2007.
"When cost improvements harm consumers,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 63-79, February.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Jianyu, Yu, 2013. "Production Standards, Competition and Vertical Relationship," TSE Working Papers 13-417, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Hudson, Darren, 1998. "Intra-Processor Price-Spread Behavior: Is The U.S. Catfish Processing Industry Competitive?," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 29(2), July.
- Nene, Gibson & Azzam, Azzeddine M. & Schoengold, Karina, 2009. "Environmental Regulations and the Structure of U.S. Hog Farms," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49395, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.