Supply and Demand Factors for Organic Produce
AbstractAlthough the organic produce industry is growing dramatically, little is known about market structure. We estimate a system of reduced-form equations to evaluate supply and demand factors that influence equilibrium farm price and quantity in wholesale markets for organic broccoli, carrots, and lettuce. In the long run, demand factors dominate supply factors. Reduced wholesaling costs, increased margins by which organic wholesale price exceeds nonorganic price, and higher consumer income stimulate both farm price and output. Increasing the nonorganic farm price decreases equilibrium quantity of organics. Market expansion strategies should target consumers and wholesalers. Copyright 1996, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gabrielyan, Gnel & Marsh, Thomas L., 2012. "Domestic and Export Price Formation of U.S. Hops," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124722, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Park, Timothy A. & Gubanova, Tatiana & Lohr, Luanne & Escalante, Cesar L., 2005. "Forecasting Organic Food Prices: Testing and Evaluating Conditional Predictive Ability," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19412, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Volpe, Richard J., III, 2006. "Exploring the Potential Effects of Organic Production on Contracting in American Agribusiness," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21086, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Connolly, Cristina & Klaiber, H. Allen, 2012. "Are Consumers Willing to Pay for Organic When the Food is Already Local?," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124364, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Tondel, Fabien & Woods, Timothy A., 2006. "Supply Chain Management and the Changing Structure of U.S. Organic Produce," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21435, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mélanie Jaeck & Robert Lifran & Hubert Stahn, 2012. "Emergence of Organic Farming under Imperfect Competition: Economic Conditions and Incentives," Working Papers halshs-00793671, HAL.
- Mélanie Jaeck & Robert Lifran & Hubert Stahn, 2012. "Emergence of Organic Farming under Imperfect Competition," AMSE Working Papers 1239, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Baker, Gregory A., 1999. "Consumer Preferences For Food Safety Attributes In Fresh Apples: Market Segments, Consumer Characteristics, And Marketing Opportunities," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Kim, John Moo, 2005. "Sustainable Farm Development in the Republic of Korea in a Global Economy," 15th Congress, Campinas SP, Brazil, August 14-19, 2005 24296, International Farm Management Association.
- Thompson, Gary D. & Wilson, Paul N., 1999. "Market Demands For Bagged, Refrigerated Salads," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Park, Timothy A. & Lohr, Luanne, 1996. "Wholesaler Markup Decisions Under Demand Uncertainty," Faculty Series 16699, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Gubanova, Tatiana & Lohr, Luanne & Park, Timothy A., 2005. "Forecasting Organic Food Prices: Emerging Methods for Testing and Evaluating Conditional Predictive Ability," 2005 Conference, April 18-19, 2005, St. Louis, Missouri 19045, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Bohorova, Svetlana & Scrimgeour, Frank G., 2000. "Evaluating The Potential Productivity Gains Associated With Biotechnological Improvement: The Case Of Kiwifruit In New Zealand," Proceedings:Transitions in Agbiotech: Economics of Strategy and Policy, June 24-25, 1999, Washington, D.C. 25995, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- van Ravenswaay, Eileen O. & Blend, Jeffrey R., 1997. "Using Ecolabeling To Encourage Adoption Of Innovative Environmental Technologies In Agriculture," Staff Papers 11657, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.