The Determinants of Wheat Variety Selection in Kansas, 1974 to 1993
AbstractIn 1993, over one-third of Kansas wheat acres were seeded to varieties with milling and baking qualities ranked “less desirable,” stimulating interest in the determinants of wheat variety selection. Regression analysis is used to quantify the relationship between planted varieties and wheat characteristics relating to production and end-use qualities. Results indicate that Kansas wheat producers consider end-use qualities, production characteristics, relative yields, yield stability, and past production decisions when selecting wheat varieties. Simulation results reveal potential tradeoffs facing wheat breeders and seed dealers. Time paths of adoption are projected for potential improvements in wheat yields and quality characteristics. Copyright 1996, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Smale, Melinda & Bellon, Mauricio R. & Aguirre, Alfonso, 1998. "Variety Characteristics And The Land Allocation Decisions Of Farmers In A Center Of Maize Diversity," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20831, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Smale, Melinda & Meng, Erika C.H. & Brennan, John P. & Hu, Ruifa, 2000. "Using Ecological Indices and Economics to Explain Diversity in a Wheat Crop: Examples from Australia and China," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 123732, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Barkley, Andrew P. & Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa, 2008. "Wheat Variety Selection: An Application of Portfolio Theory to Improve Returns," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37597, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Smale, Melinda & Meng, Erika C.H. & Brennan, John P. & Hu, Ruifa, 1999. "Using Economics to Explain Spatial Diversity in a Wheat Crop: Examples from Australia and China," Economics Working Papers 7697, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
- Smale, M. & Meng, E. & Brennan, J. P. & Hu, Ruifa, 2003. "Determinants of spatial diversity in modern wheat: examples from Australia and China," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 13-26, January.
- Nalley, Lawton Lanier & Barkley, Andrew P. & Brad, Watkins & Hignight, Jeffrey A., 2009. "Enhancing Farm Profitability through Portfolio Analysis: The Case of Spatial Rice Variety Selection," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 45648, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Dahl, Bruce L. & Wilson, William W., 1997. "Factors Affecting The Supply Of Quality Spring Wheats: Comparisons Between The United States And Canada," Agricultural Economics Reports 23218, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Smale, Melinda & Bellon, Mauricio R. & Gomez, Jose Alfonso Aguirre, 1999. "The Private and Public Characteristics of Maize Land Races and the Area Allocation Decisions of Farmers in a Center of Crop Diversity," Economics Working Papers 7669, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
- Bellon, Mauricio R. & Adato, Michelle & Becerril, Javier & Mindek, Dubravka, 2006. "Poor farmers' perceived benefits from different types of maize germplasm: The case of creolization in lowland tropical Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 113-129, January.
- Roman Keeney & Thomas W. Hertel, 2008. "U.S. Market Potential For Dried Distillers Grain With Solubles," Working Papers 08-13, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.