Extension Commercialization: How Much to Charge for Extension Services
AbstractAs public agricultural extension organizations around the world examine the possibility of privatizing or commercializing part or all their services, several issues arise. In this paper I address the question of how to price the services provided. Using available data from Israel, a supply (marginal cost) function is estimated for the Israel Extension Service, and a demand function for extension services is estimated. The derived number of visits and the per visit price are calculated. Several general extension-related policy issues that may also be applicable to other countries are discussed. Copyright 1996, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Labarthe, Pierre, 2005. "Performance of Services: A Framework to Assess Farm Extension Services," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24712, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Brian Roe & Timothy C. Haab & Brent Sohngen, 2004.
"The Value of Agricultural Economics Extension Programming: An Application of Contingent Valuation,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 373-390.
- Roe, Brian E. & Haab, Timothy C. & Sohngen, Brent, 2002. "The Value Of Agricultural Economics Extension Programming: An Application Of Contingent Valuation," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19861, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Fernando Lopez & Alessandro Maffioli, 2008.
"Technology Adoption, Productivity and Specialization of Uruguayan Breeders: Evidence from an Impact Evaluation,"
OVE Working Papers
0708, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
- Fernando López & Alessandro Maffioli, 2008. "Technology Adoption, Productivity and Specialization of Uruguayan Breeders: Evidence from an Impact Evaluation," IDB Publications 25898, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Ariel Dinar & Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, . "Evaluating the Impact of Public and Private Agricultural Extension on Farms Performance: A Non-neutral Stochastic Frontier Approach," Working Papers 0205, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Dinar, Ariel & Keynan, Gabriel, 1998. "The cost and performance of paid agricultural extension services : the case of agricultural technology transfer in Nicaragua," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1931, The World Bank.
- Laband, David N. & Lentz, Bernard F., 2005. "Higher Education Costs and the Production of Extension," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(01), April.
- Foltz, Jeremy D. & Barham, Bradford L., 2008. "The Productivity Effects of Extension Appointments in Land Grant Colleges," Staff Paper Series 527, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Pedro Cerdán-Infantes & Alessandro Maffioli & Diego Ubfal, 2008. "The Impact of Agricultural Extension Services: The Case of Grape Production in Argentina," OVE Working Papers 0508, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
- Horna, J. Daniela & Smale, Melinda & Oppen, Matthias Von, 2007.
"Farmer willingness to pay for seed-related information: rice varieties in Nigeria and Benin,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(06), pages 799-825, December.
- Horna, J. Daniela & Smale, Melinda & von Oppen, Matthias, 2005. "Farmer willingness to pay for seed-related information: rice varieties in Nigeria and Benin," EPTD discussion papers 142, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Horna, J. Daniela & Smale, Melinda & von Oppen, Matthias, 2005. "Private Participation In Agricultural Extension In Nigeria And Benin: Determining The Willingness To Pay For Information," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19401, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Marielle Berriet-Solliec & Jacques Baudry & Pierre Labarthe, 2010. "L'évaluation des politiques à l'épreuve des faits : apports des débats autour des approches evidence based policies," INRA UMR CESAER Working Papers 2010/5, INRA UMR CESAER, Centre d'’Economie et Sociologie appliquées à l'’Agriculture et aux Espaces Ruraux.
- Ulimwengu, John & Sanyal, Prabuddha, 2011. "Joint estimation of farmers' stated willingness to pay for agricultural services:," IFPRI discussion papers 1070, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Egziabher, Kidanemariam G. & Mathijs, Erik & Deckers, Jozef A. & Gebrehiwot, Kindeya & Bauer, Hans & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "The Economic Impact of a New Rural Extension Approach in Northern Ethiopia," Working Papers 146558, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Solis, Daniel & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E., 2003. "Rates Of Return To Private Agricultural Extension: Evidence From Two Farm Management Centers In El Salvador," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22186, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Horna, J. Daniela & von Oppen, Matthias, 2006. "Supporting Agricultural Extension: Could Farmers Contribute?," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25324, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.