Literature Review on the Economic Effects of the Euro on Austria
AbstractThe possible impact of the euro on Austria has been widely discussed, as will be shown in this literature review, which focuses above all on the impact of the euro on inflation, foreign trade and economic growth. Not surprisingly, it has been quite difficult to quantify the (specific) impact of the euro, so that the academic literature contains only few hard-and-fast statements about the currency’s impact on Austria. According to the findings of the literature, the purely economic impacts of the single currency appear not to have been very large – other European integration projects that partly relate to monetary union appear to have had a stronger influence on Austria’s economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank) in its journal Monetary Policy & the Economy.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandro Micco & Ernesto H. Stein & Guillermo Luis Ordoñez, 2003.
"The Currency Union Effect on Trade: Early Evidence from EMU,"
Research Department Publications
4339, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Alejandro Micco & Ernesto Stein & Guillermo OrdoÒez, 2003. "The currency union effect on trade: early evidence from EMU," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 315-356, October.
- Havranek, Tomas, 2009.
"Rose Effect and the Euro: Is the Magic Gone?,"
18479, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Nov 2009.
- Tomáš Havránek, 2010. "Rose effect and the euro: is the magic gone?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 146(2), pages 241-261, June.
- Fritz Breuss & Jorge A. Fornero, 2009. "An Estimated DSGE Model of Austria, the Euro Area and the U.S.: Some Welfare Implications of EMU," FIW Working Paper series 034, FIW.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Virginia Di Nino, 2006.
"Euros and Zeros: The Common Currency Effect on Trade in New Goods,"
NBER Working Papers
12673, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Baldwin Virginia Di Nino, 2006. "Euros and zeros: The common currency effect on trade in new goods," IHEID Working Papers 21-2006, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised 31 Oct 2006.
- Baldwin, Richard & Di Nino, Virginia, 2006. "Euros and Zeros: The Common Currency Effect on Trade in New Goods," CEPR Discussion Papers 5973, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Silviano Esteve-Pérez & Salvador Gil-Pareja & Rafael Llorca-Vivero & José Antonio Martínez-Serrano, 2011. "The impact of the euro on firm export behaviour: does firm size matter?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(2), pages 355-374, April.
- Thomas Windberger & Achim Zeileis, 2011. "Structural Breaks in Inflation Dynamics within the European Monetary Union," Working Papers 2011-12, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Charles Wyplosz, 2006. "European Monetary Union: the dark sides of a major success," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 21(46), pages 207-261, 04.
- Harald Badinger & Fritz Breuss, 2009. "Country size and the trade effects of the euro," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(2), pages 207-223, July.
- Paul Grauwe, 2009. "The Euro at ten: achievements and challenges," Empirica, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 5-20, February.
- Fritz Breuss & Katrin Rabitsch, 2008.
"An Estimated Two Country DSGE Model of Austria and the Euro Area,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Fritz Breuss & Katrin Rabitsch, 2009. "An estimated two-country DSGE model of Austria and the Euro Area," Empirica, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 123-158, February.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Matteo Bugamelli & Fabiano Schivardi & Carlo Altomonte & Daniel Horgos & Daniela Maggioni, . "The global operations of European firms - The second EFIGE policy report," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 581, October.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2000.
"Can vertical specialization explain the growth of world trade?,"
96, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2003. "Can Vertical Specialization Explain the Growth of World Trade?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(1), pages 52-102, February.
- Sergio de Nardis & Carmine Pappalardo & Claudio Vicarelli, 2008. "The Euro adoption’s impact on extensive and intensive margins of trade: the Italian case," ISAE Working Papers 101, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Ernest Gnan & Claudia Kwapil & Maria Teresa Valderrama, 2005. "EU and EMU Entry: A Monetary Policy Regime Change for Austria?," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 2, pages 53â68.
- Antoine Berthou & Lionel Fontagné, 2008. "The Euro and the Intensive and Extensive Margins of Trade: Evidence from French Firm Level Data," Working Papers 2008-06, CEPII research center.
- Ray Barrell & Sylvia Gottschalk & Dawn Holland & Ehsan Khoman & Iana Liadze & Olga Pomerantz, 2008. "The impact of EMU on growth and employment," European Economy - Economic Papers 318, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudia Kwapil).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.