Capturing the Link between M3 Growth and Inflation in the Euro Area – An Econometric Model to Produce Conditional Inflation Forecasts
AbstractIn this paper, we capture the link between M3 growth and inflation with a vector error correction model. The analysis also includes the 10-year government bond yield, the threemonth EURIBOR interest rate and GDP. The long-run link between M3 growth and inflation is observable in the raw data. Over the years 1980–2006, we find that M3 growth and inflation are cointegrated, which means that deviations from long-term average real money growth lead to mean-reverting adjustment processes to restore the average level of real money growth. The full effect of an unexpected monetary shock thus materializes over time in the level of inflation, after a transitory period during which GDP and interest rates have been affected as well. Out-of-sample yearly conditional inflation forecasts are produced from 2001 to 2006 which are compared to Eurosystem staff projections. Qualitatively, the monetary model predicts future inflation rates which are consistent with the ECB’s assessment of future inflation prospects. JEL classification: C32, E31, E37, E58
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank) in its journal Monetary Policy and the Economy.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kulaksizoglu, Tamer & Kulaksizoglu, Sebnem, 2009. "The U.S. Excess Money Growth and Inflation Relation in the Long-Run: A Nonlinear Analysis," MPRA Paper 23780, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudia Kwapil).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.