Euro Survey of Spring 2010: Sovereign Debt Crisis Left Traces in CESEE Households' Sentiment, Foreign Currency Portfolios Broadly Unchanged
AbstractThe OeNB Euro Survey’s spring wave was conducted in May and June 2010 at a time of highly exceptional circumstances in the EU and in the euro area, which appear to have had a significant effect on CESEE households’ trust in the euro. However, it can be assumed that the reported low trust levels were extraordinary and of only temporary nature. Nevertheless, confidence in the euro was still “ahead” of that in the respective local currencies. By contrast, trust in the EU as an institution remained rather high in almost all countries surveyed and continued to be substantially higher than trust in domestic governments. Despite worsened results from some sentiment-related questions, people did not adjust their foreign currency portfolios. The deposit substitution index (DSI) as well as the projected amount of euro cash holdings per capita remained broadly unchanged throughout the region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank) in its journal Focus on European Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D14 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Saving; Personal Finance
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stephan Barisitz, 2011. "Nonperforming Loans in CESEE – What Do They Comprise?," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 4, pages 46-68.
- Jesús Crespo Cuaresma & Jarko Fidrmuc & Mariya Hake, 2011. "Determinants of Foreign Currency Loans in CESEE Countries: A Meta-Analysis," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 4, pages 69-87.
- Elisabeth Beckmann & Sandra Dvorsky & Thomas Scheiber, 2013. "Trust in the EU in CESEE," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 2, pages 77-90.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Birgit Riedler).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.