Estimating the structural rate of unemployment for the OECD countries
AbstractThe paper first reviews the conceptual framework underlying different measures of structural unemployment as well as alternative empirical methods that have been used to provide estimates of them. Drawing on this review, it goes on to develop a method for estimating time-varying NAIRUs across a range of OECD countries using a Kalman filter. It then discusses the resulting econometric estimates, and the scope for their further refinement given the associated range of uncertainties. Recent trends in the NAIRU estimates are reviewed: they fell in many countries in the second half of the 1990s, although actual unemployment has remained well above the NAIRU for a majority of countries throughout much of the 1990s, particularly in Europe. Finally, the relevance of such measures to analysing inflation developments and monetary policy is discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by OECD Publishing in its journal OECD Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 2001 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jaromír Hurník & David Navrátil, 2005. "Potential Output in the Czech Republic: A Production Function Approach," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2005(3), pages 253-266.
- Uluc Aysun & Florence Bouvet & Richard Hofler, 2012. "An alternative measure of structural unemployment," Working Papers 2012-04, University of Central Florida, Department of Economics.
- Gian Luigi Mazzi & Frédéric Reynès & Matthieu Lemoine & Paola Veroni, 2008.
"Real Time Estimation of Potential Output and Output Gap for the Euro-Area : Comparing Production Function with Unobserved Components and SVAR Approaches,"
Sciences Po publications
2008-34, Sciences Po.
- Matthieu Lemoine & Gian Luigi Mazzi & Paola Monperrus-Veroni & Frédéric Reynes, 2008. "Real time estimation of potential output and output gap for the euro-area: comparing production function with unobserved components and SVAR approaches," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2008-34, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Lemoine, Matthieu & Mazzi, Gian Luigi & Monperrus-Veroni, Paola & Reynes, Frédéric, 2008. "Real time estimation of potential output and output gap for theeuro-area: comparing production function with unobserved componentsand SVAR approaches," MPRA Paper 13128, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2008.
- Fendel, Ralf & Lis, Eliza M. & Rülke, Jan-Christoph, 2008. "Does the financial market believe in the Phillips Curve? Evidence from the G7 countries," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 73, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Task Force of the Monetary Policy Committee of the European System of Central Banks, 2012. "Euro area labour markets and the crisis," Occasional Paper Series 138, European Central Bank.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Svend E Hougaard Jensen & Christian Richter, 2004.
"Northern and Eastern Enlargement of EMU: Do Structural Reforms Matter?,"
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2004/3 edited by Morten Balling.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Svend E Hougaard Jensen & Christian Richter, 2004. "Northern and Eastern Enlargement of EMU: Do Structural Reforms Matter?," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Jennifer V Greenslade & Richard G Pierse & Jumana Saleheen, 2003. "A Kalman filter approach to estimating the UK NAIRU," Bank of England working papers 179, Bank of England.
- Oreste Napolitano & Alberto Montagnoli, 2010. "The European Unemployment Gap and the Role of Monetary Policy," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1346-1358.
- Ali Choudhary & Paul Levine, 2004. "Can Risk Aversion in Firms Reduce Unemployment Persistence?," School of Economics Discussion Papers 0704, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Aleksejs Melihovs & Anna Zasova, 2009.
"The Assessment of Natural Rate of Unemployment and Capacity Utilisation in Latvia,"
2009/02, Latvijas Banka.
- Aleksejs Meļihovs & Anna Zasova, 2009. "Assessment of the natural rate of unemployment and capacity utilisation in Latvia," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 25-46, December.
- Riccetti, Luca & Russo, Alberto & Gallegati, Mauro, 2013. "Unemployment benefits and financial factors in an agent-based macroeconomic model," Economics Discussion Papers 2013-9, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Lindblad, Hans & Sellin, Peter, 2003. "The Equilibrium Rate of Unemployment and the Real Exchange Rate: An Unobserved Components System Approach," Working Paper Series 152, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Ali Choudhary & Paul Levine, 2003. "Self-Stabilizing Firms and Unemployment Persistence," School of Economics Discussion Papers 0303, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Wiese, Rasmus, 2013. "Do political or economic factors drive healthcare financing privatisations? Empirical evidence from OECD countries," Research Report 13005-EEF, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Andersen, Torben M., 2008. "Heterogenous wage formation under a common monetary policy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 740-771, July.
- Nicoletta Batini & Jennifer Greenslade, 2003.
"Measuring The UK Short-Run NAIRU,"
12, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Alho, Kari, 2002. "The Equilibrium Rate of Unemployment and Policies to Lower It: The Case of Finland," Discussion Papers 839, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Ricetti, Luca & Russo, Alberto & Gallegati, Mauro, 2013. "Unemployment benefits and financial leverage in an agent based macroeconomic model," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 7(42), pages 1-44.
- Balázs Varga, 2013. "Time Varying NAIRU Estimates in Central Europe," Working Papers 1306, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.