Financial crisis: Deposit insurance and related financial safety net aspects
AbstractGovernment provision of a financial safety net for banks and other financial institutions has been a key element of the policy response to the current financial crisis. In the process, the design of many safety net elements, such as deposit insurance, has been redrawn in many jurisdictions. In particular, governments extended existing guarantees and introduced new ones. While these measures did not address the root causes of the lack of confidence, they were nevertheless helpful in avoiding a further accelerated loss of confidence, thus buying valuable time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by OECD Publishing in its journal OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends.
Volume (Year): 2008 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M. Disli & K. Schoors & J. Meir, 2012.
"Political connections and depositor discipline,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
12/781, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Kowalski, Tadeusz & Shachmurove, Yochanan, 2014. "The reaction of the U.S. and the European Monetary Union to recent global financial crises," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 27-47.
- Peter BALOGH & Nicu TOCU, 2011. "The Financial Safety Net – a Necessity in a Turbulent Financial World," Risk in Contemporary Economy, "Dunarea de Jos" University of Galati, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, pages 311-317.
- Schich, Sebastian T., 2009. "Challenges Associated with the Expansion of Deposit Insurance Coverage during Fall 2008," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 3(20), pages 1-23.
- Andries, Natalia & Billon, Steve, 2010. "The effect of bank ownership and deposit insurance on monetary policy transmission," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 3050-3054, December.
- Bengtsson, E., 2013. "Fund Management and Systemic Risk - Lessons from the Global Financial Crisis," CITYPERC Working Paper Series 2013-06, Department of International Politics, City University London.
- Peter BALOGH & Nicu TOCU, 2012. "The Financial Safety Net – a Necessity in a Turbulent Financial World," Economics and Applied Informatics, "Dunarea de Jos" University of Galati, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 2, pages 23-30.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.