Some perspectives on past recessions
AbstractAs the economy slows in 2008, this article sketches out some key features of past recessions in New Zealand – all the downturns since the mid-1960s, plus the Depression of the 1930s. Each recession was triggered, in significant part, by international events, but each was exacerbated, in part, by domestic pressures or imbalances. History doesn’t mechanically repeat itself, but these past experiences are a sobering backdrop against which to consider the outlook for the New Zealand economy over the next year or two.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Reserve Bank of New Zealand in its journal Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 71 (2008)
Issue (Month): (June)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bordo, Michael & Hargreaves, David & Kida, Mizuho, 2011.
"Global shocks, economic growth and financial crises: 120 years of New Zealand experience,"
Financial History Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 331-355, December.
- Michael D. Bordo & David Hargreaves & Mizuho Kida, 2009. "Global shocks, economic growth and financial crises: 120 years of New Zealand experience," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2009/17, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Michael D. Bordo & David Hargreaves & Mizuho Kida, 2010. "Global shocks, economic growth and financial crises: 120 years of New Zealand experience," NBER Working Papers 16027, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lattimore, Ralph & Le, Trinh & Claus, Iris & Stroombergen, Adolf, 2009.
"Economic progress and puzzles : Long-term structural change in the New Zealand economy, 1953-2006,"
NZIER Working Paper
2009/6, New Zealand Institute of Economic Research.
- Ralph Lattimore & Trinh Le & Iris Claus & Adolf Stroombergen., 2009. "Economic progress and puzzles : Long-term structural change in the New Zealand economy, 1953-2006," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23006, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- McKelvie, S. & Hall, Viv B., 2012. "Stylised facts for New Zealand business cycles: A post-1987 perspective," Working Paper Series 2364, Victoria University of Wellington, School of Economics and Finance.
- Rebecca Craigie & David Gillmore & Nicolas Groshenny, 2012. "Not a jobless recovery, just a slow one," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Analytical Notes series AN2012/06, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reserve Bank of New Zealand Knowledge Centre).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.