Do Tax Sensitive Investors Liquidate Appreciated Shares After A Capital Gains Tax Rate Reduction?
AbstractUsing data on institutional investors’ portfolio composition before and after the capital gains tax rate cut in the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, we find evidence that, relative to less tax sensitive institutional investors, tax sensitive institutional investors are more willing to sell appreciated equity in response to the rate cut. Further, the reduction in value invested in appreciated equity appears to be lasting, consistent with the tax rate cut lowering tax sensitive investors’ impediments to optimally balancing their portfolios. These results provide direct evidence of a capital gains tax lock-in effect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Tax Association in its journal National Tax Journal.
Volume (Year): 65 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burman, Leonard E & Randolph, William C, 1994. "Measuring Permanent Responses to Capital-Gains Tax Changes in Panel Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 794-809, September.
- Constantinides, George M., 1984.
"Optimal stock trading with personal taxes : Implications for prices and the abnormal January returns,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-89, March.
- George M. Constantinides, 1983. "Optimal Stock Trading with Personal Taxes: Implications for Prices and the Abnormal January Returns," NBER Working Papers 1176, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raj Chetty & Emmanuel Saez, 2005.
"Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behavior: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 120(3), pages 791-833, August.
- Chetty, Raj & Saez, Emmanuel, 2004. "Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behaviour: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut," CEPR Discussion Papers 4722, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raj Chetty & Emmanuel Saez, 2004. "Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behavior: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut," NBER Working Papers 10841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klein, Peter, 2001. "The capital gain lock-in effect and long-horizon return reversal," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 33-62, January.
- Klein, Peter, 1998. "The capital gain lock-in effect with short sales constraints," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(12), pages 1533-1558, December.
- Moser, William J., 2007. "The Effect of Shareholder Taxes on Corporate Payout Choice," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(04), pages 991-1019, December.
- Andrea Frazzini, 2006. "The Disposition Effect and Underreaction to News," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(4), pages 2017-2046, 08.
- Jennifer L. Blouin & Jana Smith Raedy & Douglas A. Shackelford, 2003. "Capital Gains Taxes and Equity Trading: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 611-651, 09.
- Klein, Peter, 1999. "The capital gain lock-in effect and equilibrium returns," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 355-378, March.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1995. " Size and Book-to-Market Factors in Earnings and Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 131-55, March.
- Ivkovic, Zoran & Weisbenner, Scott, 2009. "Individual investor mutual fund flows," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 223-237, May.
- Li Jin, 2006. "Capital Gains Tax Overhang and Price Pressure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(3), pages 1399-1431, 06.
- Viard, Alan D., 2000. "Dynamic asset pricing effects and incidence of realization-based capital gains taxes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 465-488, October.
- Auten, Gerald E & Clotfelter, Charles T, 1982. "Permanent versus Transitory Tax Effects and the Realization of Capital Gains," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 97(4), pages 613-32, November.
- Sikes, Stephanie A., 2014. "The turn-of-the-year effect and tax-loss-selling by institutional investors," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 22-42.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.