The Incidence of Tobacco Taxation: Evidence from Geographic Micro-Level Data
AbstractThis paper uses a recent increase in Wisconsin’s tobacco tax as a natural experiment to measure the economic incidence of tobacco taxation, using micro-level data on cigarette prices from retail locations in Wisconsin and states that share its border. We find that Wisconsin’s $1 tobacco tax increase was over-shifted to consumers; they pay the entire amount of the tax as well as a premium of between 8–17 cents per pack of cigarettes. We also use geo-coded data to test if the incidence of the tobacco tax is different for locations near the border of states with different tobacco taxation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Tax Association in its journal National Tax Journal.
Volume (Year): 62 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Philip DeCicca & Donald S. Kenkel & Feng Liu, 2010.
"Excise Tax Avoidance: The Case of State Cigarette Taxes,"
NBER Working Papers
15941, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DeCicca, Philip & Kenkel, Donald & Liu, Feng, 2013. "Excise tax avoidance: The case of state cigarette taxes," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1130-1141.
- Finkelstein, Eric A. & Zhen, Chen & Bilger, Marcel & Nonnemaker, James & Farooqui, Assad M. & Todd, Jessica E., 2013. "Implications of a sugar-sweetened beverage (SSB) tax when substitutions to non-beverage items are considered," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 219-239.
- Berardi, N. & Sevestre, P. & Tepaut, M. & Vigneron, A., 2012. "The impact of a `soda tax' on prices. Evidence from French micro data," Working papers 415, Banque de France.
- Bonnet, Céline & Réquillart, Vincent, 2013.
"Tax incidence with strategic firms in the soft drink market,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 77-88.
- Bonnet, Céline & Réquillart, Vincent, 2011. "Tax incidence with strategic firms on the soft drink market," TSE Working Papers 11-233, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised Jul 2012.
- James C. Cox & Mark Rider & Astha Sen, 2012. "Tax Incidence: Do Institutions Matter? An Experimental Study," Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series 2012-17, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University, revised Apr 2013.
- Hansen, Benjamin & Sabia, Joseph J. & Rees, Daniel I., 2011. "Cigarette Taxes and the Social Market," IZA Discussion Papers 5580, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.