Capital Gains Tax Realizations and Tax Rates: New Evidence from Time Series
AbstractUsing data from the 1986 through 1997 period, we update the time series evidence on the response of capital gains realizations to tax rates. In general, we find higher long-run elasticities than reported in many previous studies, but the estimates decrease substantially when the influence of 1986 is effectively removed. We explore several explanations for a diminished behavioral response in the period following fundamental tax reform, finding some suggestive evidence that the response may be dulled in part by a succession of rate changes in a relatively short period and the increasing role of mutual funds in households’ portfolios.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Tax Association in its journal National Tax Journal.
Volume (Year): 53 (2000)
Issue (Month): n. 3 (September Citation: 53 National Tax Journal 663-82 (September 2000))
Other versions of this item:
- Matthew Eichner & Todd Sinai, . "Capital Gains Tax Realizations and Tax Rates: New Evidence From Times Series," Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers 334, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burman, Leonard E & Randolph, William C, 1994. "Measuring Permanent Responses to Capital-Gains Tax Changes in Panel Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 794-809, September.
- Niemann, Rainer & Sureth, Caren, 2009. "Investment effects of capital gains taxation under simultaneous investment and abandonment flexibility," arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research 77, arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre.
- Jacob, Martin, 2011. "Tax Regimes and Capital Gains Realizations," Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies 2011:9, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Feng & Kraft, Arthur & Weiss, Ira, 2011. "Tax Planning By Mutual Funds: Evidence From Changes In The Capital Gains Tax Rate," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 64(1), pages 105-34, March Cit.
- Mihir A. Desai & William M. Gentry, 2004.
"The Character and Determinants of Corporate Capital Gains,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 18, pages 1-36
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mihir Desai & William M. Gentry, 2003. "The Character and Determinants of Corporate Capital Gains," NBER Working Papers 10153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mihir A. Desai & William M. Gentry, 2003. "The Character and Determinants of Corporate Capital Gains," Department of Economics Working Papers 2003-04, Department of Economics, Williams College.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.