Lump Sum Distributions from Pension Plans: Recent Evidence and Issues for Policy and Research
AbstractWe examine preretirement lump sum distributions (LSDs) from pension plans, which have grown significantly in recent years. Most LSD recipients do not roll over the funds into qualified accounts, but the likelihood of rollover rises for larger distributions. We find evidence suggesting that tax penalties imposed in 1986 on nonrollovers by people younger than 55 raised the likelihood of rollovers among this group, but had much less effect on the likelihood that such households saved the funds, where saving includes investing in taxable assets and paying off debt. We estimate that cashouts reduce annual retirement income by up to $1,000-3,000.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Tax Association in its journal National Tax Journal.
Volume (Year): 52 (1999)
Issue (Month): n. 3 (September)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James M. Poterba & Steven F. Venti, 2001.
"Preretirement Cashouts and Foregone Retirement Saving: Implications for 401(k) Asset Accumulation,"
in: Themes in the Economics of Aging, pages 23-58
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James M. Poterba & Steven F. Venti & David A. Wise, 1999. "Pre-Retirement Cashouts and Foregone Retirement Saving: Implications for 401(k) Asset Accumulation," NBER Working Papers 7314, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Wendy E. Dunn, 1997.
"Unemployment Expectations, Jumping (S,s) Triggers, and Household Balance Sheets,"
NBER Working Papers
6081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chris Carroll & Wendy Dunn, 1997. "Unemployment Expectations, Jumping (S,s) Triggers, and Household Balance Sheets," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1997, Volume 12, pages 165-230 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Wendy Dunn, 1997. "Mathematica code for Unemployment Expectations, Jumping (S,s) Triggers, and Household Balance Sheets," QM&RBC Codes 42, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Christopher D Carroll & Wendy E Dunn, 1997. "Unemployment Expectations Jumping (Ss) Triggers and Household Balance Sheets," Economics Working Paper Archive 386, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Olivia S. Mitchell, 1999.
"New Evidence on the Money's Worth of Individual Annuities,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1299-1318, December.
- Olivia S. Mitchell & James M. Poterba & Mark J. Warshawsky, 1997. "New Evidence on the Money's Worth of Individual Annuities," NBER Working Papers 6002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivia S. Mitchell & James M. Poterba & Mark J. Warshawsky, . "New Evidence on the Money's Worth of Individual Annuities," Pension Research Council Working Papers 97-9, Wharton School Pension Research Council, University of Pennsylvania.
- Barbara A. Butrica & Gordon B.T. Mermin, 2006. "Annuitized Wealth and Consumption at Older Ages," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2006-26, Center for Retirement Research, revised Dec 2006.
- Jason S. Seligman & Jeffrey B. Wenger, 2005. "Asynchronous Risk: Unemployment, Equity Markets, and Retirement Savings," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 05-114, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Burman, Leonard E. & Coe, Norma B. & Dworsky, Michael & Gale, William G., 2012.
"Effects Of Public Policies On The Disposition Of Pre-Retirement Lump-Sum Distributions: Rational And Behavioral Influences,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 65(4), pages 863-87, December.
- Burman, L.E. & Coe, N.B. & Dworsky, M. & Gale, W.G., 2008. "Effects of Public Policies on the Disposition of Pre-retirement Lump-Sum Distributions: Rational and Behavioral Influences," Discussion Paper 2008-94, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Engelhardt, Gary V., 2003. "Reasons for job change and the disposition of pre-retirement lump-sum pension distributions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 333-339, December.
- Hurd, Michael & Panis, Constantijn, 2006. "The choice to cash out pension rights at job change or retirement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(12), pages 2213-2227, December.
- Engelhardt, Gary V., 2002. "Pre-Retirement Lump-Sum Pension Distributions and Retirement Income Security: Evidence from the Health and Retirement Study," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 55(4), pages 665-85, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.