Infrastructure Services and the Productivity of Public Capital: The Case of Streets and Highways
AbstractAnalyzes links between highway congestion, labor productivity, and output for California counties (1977-1988). Finds that congestion reduction is as important to transportation policy as is street and highway construction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Tax Association in its journal National Tax Journal.
Volume (Year): 50 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evans, Paul & Karras, Georgios, 1994. "Are Government Activities Productive? Evidence from a Panel of U.S. States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Small, Kenneth A., 1983. "The incidence of congestion tolls on urban highways," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 90-111, January.
- Boarnet, Marlon G., 1995. "Transportation Infrastructure, Economic Productivity, and Geographic Scale: Aggregate Growth versus Spatial Redistribution," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt6sj276z4, University of California Transportation Center.
- Robert Krol, 1995. "Public Infrastructure and State Economic Development," Economic Development Quarterly, , , vol. 9(4), pages 331-338, November.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 1994. "Public-Sector Capital and the Productivity Puzzle," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 12-21, February.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components, Boston College Department of Economics RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Staff Memoranda, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1994. "Infrastructure Investment: A Review Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1176-96, September.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 1993. "State-specific estimates of state and local government capital," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 185-209, April.
- John A. Tatom, 1991. "Public capital and private sector performance," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 3-15.
- Alfredo Pereira & Jorge Andraz, 2012. "On the regional incidence of highway investments in the USA," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 819-838, June.
- Zhenhua Chen, 2013. "Spatial Impact of Transportation Infrastructure: A Spatial Econometric CGE Approach," ERSA conference papers ersa13p241, European Regional Science Association.
- Jeremy B. Rudd, 2000. "Assessing the productivity of public capital with a locational equilibrium model," Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 2000-23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Daniel Montolio & Albert Solé-Ollé, 2009. "Road investment and regional productivity growth: the effects of vehicle intensity and congestion," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(1), pages 99-118, 03.
- Romano Piras, 2004. "Growth, Congestion of Public Goods, and Second-Best Optimal Policy," Working Papers, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei 2004.5, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Miquel-Àngel Garcia-López & Albert Solé-Ollé & Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal, 2014.
"Do land use policies follow road construction?,"
Working Papers, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB)
2014/2, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Canning, David & Bennathan, Esra, 2000. "The social rate of return on infrastructure investments," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 2390, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.