Tax Reform of the Century -- the Swedish Experiment
AbstractDescribes the 1991 reform of Sweden's tax system ("the most far-reaching reform in any industrialized country in the postwar period"); examines behavioral responses (impact on consumption, housing, and labor supply). Reviews the lessons from a major evaluation effort, sponsored by the Swedish government and involving a large number of researchers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Tax Association in its journal National Tax Journal.
Volume (Year): 49 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Other versions of this item:
- Agell, J & Englund, P & Sodersten, J, 1996. "Tax reform of the Century - the Swedish Experiment," Papers 1996-13, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Agell, Jonas & Englund, Peter & Södersten, Jan, 1996. "Tax Reform of the Century - The Swedish Experiment," Working Paper Series 1996:13, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caballero, Ricardo J, 1991. "Earnings Uncertainty and Aggregate Wealth Accumulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 859-71, September.
- Englund, P. & Hendershott, P.H. & Turner, B., 1995. "The Tax Reform and the Housing Market," Papers 20, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Agell, Jonas & Edin, Per-Anders, 1990. " Marginal Taxes and the Asset Portfolios of Swedish Households," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(1), pages 47-64.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 339-57, April.
- Peter Birch Soerensen, . "Changing Views of the Corporate Income Tax," EPRU Working Paper Series 95-05, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan, 1994. "Costs of monitoring and corporate taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 307-321, October.
- Södersten, Jan, 1986.
"The Investment Funds System Reconsidered,"
Working Paper Series
174, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised Jan 1988.
- Agell, J. & Berg, L. & Edin, P.A., 1995.
"Tax Reform, Consumption and Asset Structure,"
16, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Slemrod, Joel, 1992.
"Do Taxes Matter? Lessons from the 1980's,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 250-56, May.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1980.
"Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
0254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calmfors, Lars, 1993. "Lessons from the macroeconomic experience of Sweden," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 25-72, March.
- Klevmarken, Anders, 1997. "Did the Tax Cuts Increase Hours of Work? A Pre-Post Analysis of Swedish Panel Data," Working Paper Series 1997:21, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Klevmarken, N.A. & Andersson, I. & Brose, P. & Gronqvist, E. & Olovsson, P. & Stotlenberg-Hansen, M., 1995. "Labor Supply Responses to Swedish Tax Reforms 1985-1992," Papers 11, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1976. "On the theory of tax reform," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 77-104.
- Berg, Lennart, 1994. "Household Savings and Debts: The Experience of the Nordic Countries," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 42-53, Summer.
- Hultkrantz,L., 1995. "On Determinants of Swedish Recreational Domestic and Outbound Travel,1989-1993," Papers 7, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.