Measuring the Growth and Variability of Tax Bases over the Business Cycle
AbstractShows that the standard method for estimating elasticity results in asymptotic bias and inconsistent standard errors. Uses time-series econometric techniques to provide unbiased estimates of the long-run growth potential (the long-run elasticity) and cyclical variability (the short-run elasticity) of all major tax bases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Tax Association in its journal National Tax Journal.
Volume (Year): 49 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 (December Citation: 49 National Tax Journal 535-52 (December 1996))
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Cointegration in partial systems and the efficiency of single-equation analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 389-402, June.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Understanding Spurious Regressions in Econometrics,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
757, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Understanding spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 311-340, December.
- Gold, Steven D., 1991. "Changes in State Government Finances in the 1980s," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 44(1), pages 1-19, March Cit.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Koshy Mathai & Andrew Swiston & Martin MÃ¼hleisen, 2007. "U.S. Revenue Surprises: Are Happy Days Here to Stay?," IMF Working Papers 07/143, International Monetary Fund.
- Thomas Garrett, 2009.
"Evaluating state tax revenue variability: a portfolio approach,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 243-246.
- Thomas A. Garrett, 2006. "Evaluating state tax revenue variability: a portfolio approach," Working Papers 2006-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Gary Wagner & Russell Sobel, 2006. "State budget stabilization fund adoption: Preparing for the next recession or circumventing fiscal constraints?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 177-199, January.
- Mark W. Nichols & Mehmet Serkan Tosun, 2007. "The Income Elasticity of Casino Revenues: Short-Run and Long-Run Estimates," Working Papers 07-015, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics & University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Wagner, Gary A., 2003. "Are state budget stabilization funds only the illusion of savings?: Evidence from stationary panel data," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 213-238.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Gary A. Wagner, 2007.
"Red ink in the rearview mirror: local fiscal conditions and the issuance of traffic tickets,"
2006-048, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Gary A. Wagner, 2009. "Red Ink in the Rearview Mirror: Local Fiscal Conditions and the Issuance of Traffic Tickets," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(1), pages 71-90, 02.
- Mehmet Serkan Tosun & Sohrab Abizadeh, 2005. "Economic growth and tax components: an analysis of tax changes in OECD," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(19), pages 2251-2263.
- Garrett, Thomas A. & Coughlin, Cletus C., 2009.
"Inter–temporal Differences in the Income Elasticity of Demand for Lottery Tickets,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 62(1), pages 77-99, March Cit.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2007. "Inter-temporal differences in the income elasticity of demand for lottery tickets," Working Papers 2007-042, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Syed Ahsan & Panagiotis Tsigaris, 2002. "Measuring the Social Discount Rate under Uncertainty: A Methodology and Application," CESifo Working Paper Series 824, CESifo Group Munich.
- Guido Wolswijk, 2009. "The short- and long-run tax revenue response to changes in tax bases," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 1960-1970.
- Brückner, Markus, 2012. "An instrumental variables approach to estimating tax revenue elasticities: Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 220-227.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.