Tax-Preferred Assets and Debt, and the Tax Reform Act of 1986: Some Implications for Fundamental Tax Reform
AbstractA study of how tax changes in TRA '86 (consumer debt interest and IRA deductions) affected household saving behavior shows that household assets and debt were reallocated but that there was little change in the real level of economic activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Tax Association in its journal National Tax Journal.
Volume (Year): 49 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James M. Poterba & Steven F. Venti & David A. Wise, 1993.
"Do 401(k) Contributions Crowd Out Other Persoanl Saving?,"
NBER Working Papers
4391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poterba, James M. & Venti, Steven F. & Wise, David A., 1995. "Do 401(k) contributions crowd out other personal saving?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 1-32, September.
- James M. Poterba & Steven F. Venti & David A. Wise, 1992.
"401(k) Plans and Tax-Deferred Saving,"
NBER Working Papers
4181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James M. Poterba & Steven F. Venti, 1994. "401(k) Plans and Tax-Deferred Saving," NBER Chapters, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, in: Studies in the Economics of Aging, pages 105-142 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poterba, J.M. & Venti, S.F. & Wise, D.A., 1992. "401(k) Plans and Tax-Deferred Savings," Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics 92-14, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Maki, Dean M., 1996. "Portfolio Shuffling and Tax Reform," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, National Tax Association, vol. 49(3), pages 317-29, September.
- Francesca Eugeni, 1993. "Consumer debt and home equity borrowing," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Mar, pages 2-13.
- Glenn B. Canner & James T. Fergus & Charles A. Luckett, 1988. "Home equity lines of credit," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jun, pages 361-373.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Stefan Hochguertel, 2007.
"Household Debt and Credit: Economic Issues and Data Problems,"
Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA,
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 36(2), pages 115-146, 07.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Hochguertel, Stefan, 2007. "Household debt and credit: Economic issues and data problems," CFS Working Paper Series, Center for Financial Studies (CFS) 2007/32, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2007087 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pistaferri, Luigi, 2007. "Do people respond to tax incentives? An analysis of the Italian reform of the deductibility of home mortgage interests," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 247-271, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.