State Lottery Sales and Economic Activity
AbstractEven though lottery sales grow during periods of high unemployment, sales are lower in states where programs have been in force longer.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Tax Association in its journal National Tax Journal.
Volume (Year): 47 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lany DeBoer, 1986. "Lottery taxes may be too high," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(3), pages 594-596.
- Mark Edward Stover, 1990. "Contiguous state lotteries: Substitutes or complements?," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 565-568.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Natalia Kolesnikova, 2010. "Local price variation and the tax incidence of state lotteries," Working Papers 2010-035, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Chen, Shu-Heng & Chie, Bin-Tzong, 2008. "Lottery markets design, micro-structure, and macro-behavior: An ACE approach," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 463-480, August.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2007.
"Inter-temporal differences in the income elasticity of demand for lottery tickets,"
2007-042, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Garrett, Thomas A. & Coughlin, Cletus C., 2009. "Inter–temporal Differences in the Income Elasticity of Demand for Lottery Tickets," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 62(1), pages 77-99, March.
- Kent Grote & Victor Matheson, 2011. "The Economics of Lotteries: An Annotated Bibliography," Working Papers 1110, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- FJohn A. Doukas & Wenjia Zhang, 2013. "Managerial gambling attitudes: evidence from bank acquisitions," Review of Behavioral Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(1), pages 4-34, February.
- Thomas Garrett, 2001. "An International Comparison and Analysis of Lotteries and the Distribution of Lottery Expenditures," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 213-227.
- Thomas A. Garrett, 2011. "A closer look at the tax incidence of instant lottery games: an analysis by price point," Working Papers 2011-010, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Étienne Desjardins & Mélina Longpré & François Vaillancourt, 2012. "The topsy-turvy sharing of the gaming tax field in Canada, 1970-2010: provincial payments, federal withdrawal," CIRANO Working Papers 2012s-21, CIRANO.
- A. Bussu & C. Detotto, 2014. "The bi-directional relationship between gambling and addictive substances," Working Paper CRENoS 201403, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:42:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:8:y:2003:i:10:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Étienne Desjardins & Mélina Longpré & Francois Vaillancourt, 2012. "The Topsy-Turvy Sharing of the Gaming Tax Field in Canada, 1970-2010: Provincial Payments, Federal Withdrawal," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1228, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Cho-Min Lin & Kung-Cheng Lin, 2007. "The demand for lottery expenditure in Taiwan: a quantile regression approach," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(42), pages 1-11.
- Brown, Ryan P. & Rork, Jonathan C., 2005. "Copycat gaming: A spatial analysis of state lottery structure," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 795-807, November.
- Stephen Fink & Alan Marco & Jonathan Rork, 2004. "Lotto nothing? The budgetary impact of state lotteries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(21), pages 2357-2367.
- Julie Smith, 1999. "Australian Gambling Taxation," CEPR Discussion Papers 402, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Millet, Kobe & Lamey, Lien & Van den Bergh, Bram, 2012. "Avoiding negative vs. achieving positive outcomes in hard and prosperous economic times," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 275-284.
- David Paton & Donald S. Siegel & Leighton Vaughan Williams, 2002. "A Policy Response To The E--Commerce Revolution: The Case Of Betting Taxation In The UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(480), pages F296-F314, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.