Remittanceand Trade Deficit Nexus in Nepal: A VECM Approach
AbstractOnce Nepal eased the access to the international labor market, there is an increasing trend of Nepalese working abroad, where annually thousands of young people migrate from the country. Consequently, there has been a sharp increment of remittance inflow in the recent years. Since remittance helps people improve the living standards, it has been observed as a good contributor for the poverty reduction in Nepal. Nevertheless, it might further deteriorate the trade balance, causing higher demand for consumable goods, most of which are imported in Nepal. Using cointegration techniques and a Vector Error Correction Model (VECM) based on the monthly data of merchandise import, worker's remittance and trade deficit for ten years period, this paper studies whether remittance causes the merchandise import and trade deficit to raise in the long run. The cointegration equation show that there is a long-run positive unidirectional causality from remittance to import as well as remittance to trade deficit implying that remittance causes merchandise import and deteriorates trade balance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department in its journal NRB Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 25 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Trade deficit; Remittance; Nepal; Import; VECM;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- F24 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Remittances
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Satis Chandra Devkota, 2004. "Impact of Exchange Rate Change on Foreign Trade Balance in Nepal," International Trade 0410003, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Bishnu Prasad Gautam).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.