Modeling the Underground Economy in Turkey: Randomized Response and MIMIC Models
AbstractMIMIC model and two versions of the Randomized Response (RR) Technique are employed to estimate the size of the underground economy (UE) in Turkey. The RR estimate for 1998 is 28% of ‘measured’ GDP. Over the period from 1970 to 1998, the size of the UE is found to vary between 10% and 45%. The UE faces big drop in the mid-1980s, implying the importance of structural changes in the Turkish economy in reducing the size of UE. All types of burden imposed by government are found to be positively related to the UE. Tax-gap issue is also addressed.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Missouri Valley Economic Association in its journal The Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
- H26 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Tax Evasion
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Karanfil, Fatih & Ozkaya, Ata, 2007. "Estimation of real GDP and unrecorded economy in Turkey based on environmental data," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 4902-4908, October.
- HALICIOGLU, Ferda & Dell’Anno, Roberto, 2009.
"An ARDL model of unrecorded and recorded economies in Turkey,"
24982, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberto Dell'Anno & Ferda Halicioglu, 2010. "An ARDL model of unrecorded and recorded economies in Turkey," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 627-646, September.
- Karanfil, Fatih, 2008. "Energy consumption and economic growth revisited: Does the size of unrecorded economy matter?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 3019-3025, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ken Brown).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.