Modeling the Underground Economy in Turkey: Randomized Response and MIMIC Models
AbstractMIMIC model and two versions of the Randomized Response (RR) Technique are employed to estimate the size of the underground economy (UE) in Turkey. The RR estimate for 1998 is 28% of ‘measured’ GDP. Over the period from 1970 to 1998, the size of the UE is found to vary between 10% and 45%. The UE faces big drop in the mid-1980s, implying the importance of structural changes in the Turkish economy in reducing the size of UE. All types of burden imposed by government are found to be positively related to the UE. Tax-gap issue is also addressed.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Missouri Valley Economic Association in its journal The Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
- H26 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Tax Evasion
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roberto Dell'Anno & Ferda Halicioglu, 2010.
"An ARDL model of unrecorded and recorded economies in Turkey,"
Journal of Economic Studies,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 627-646, September.
- HALICIOGLU, Ferda & Dell’Anno, Roberto, 2009. "An ARDL model of unrecorded and recorded economies in Turkey," MPRA Paper 24982, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Karanfil, Fatih & Ozkaya, Ata, 2007. "Estimation of real GDP and unrecorded economy in Turkey based on environmental data," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 4902-4908, October.
- Fatih Karanfil, 2011.
"Environmental regulation in the presence of unrecorded economy,"
CEPII research center, issue 126-127, pages 91-108.
- Karanfil, Fatih, 2010. "Environmental regulation in the presence of unrecorded economy," GIAM Working Papers 10-2, Galatasaray University Economic Research Center, revised 2010.
- Karanfil, Fatih, 2008. "Energy consumption and economic growth revisited: Does the size of unrecorded economy matter?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 3019-3025, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ken Brown).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.