Riforme del servizio sanitario nazionale e dinamica dell'efficienza ospedaliera in Piemonte
AbstractIn this paper we estimate cost efficiency and technological characteristics of public hospitals in Piedmont over the period from 2000 to 2004. During the Nineties, different regulatory reforms aiming at controlling health expenditure affected the Italian National Health Service, ranging from the introduction of a new reimbursement scheme for hospitals (DRG-based) at the micro level, to the implementation of fiscal federalism at the macro level. We argue that all these legislative interventions rendered producers more prone to control costs, in order to be able to meet financial constraints. Our empirical findings support this hypothesis: average cost inefficiency, computed after estimating a Translog stochastic cost frontier by the Battese and Coelli (1992) approach, reduced remarkably during the observed years, while the adoption of more effective technologies shifted upward the minimum-cost frontier. We also find evidence of relevant scale economies not exploited by producers, which decrease with hospital size (number of beds) and output complexity (average DRG weight).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Società editrice il Mulino in its journal Politica economica.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
NHS reforms; public hospitals; productive efficiency; stochastic cost frontier.;
Other versions of this item:
- Chiara Canta & Massimiliano Piacenza & Turati Gilberto, 2005. "Riforme del Servizio Sanitario Nazionale e dinamica dell’efficienza ospedaliera in Piemonte," CERIS Working Paper 200515, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- L32 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Enterprises; Public-Private Enterprises
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simona Sanguineti & Alessio Tei, 2012. "L’efficienza delle aziende di Trasporto Pubblico Locale: confronto tra le maggiori realtà italiane," ECONOMIA E DIRITTO DEL TERZIARIO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2012(3), pages 359-377.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.