Disuguaglianze salariali in Italia: nuove evidenze dai microdati SHIW
AbstractThis paper investigates the dynamics of wage inequality that occurred in the 90s in the Italian labour market. The microdata are drawn from the Bank of Italy Survey of Household Income and Wealth (SHIW). The evidence suggests that overall wage inequality increased during the period under observation. The aim of the analysis is to shed light on the determinants of the increasing inequality, against the background of both skill biased technological change (SBTC) and institutional changes in the labour market hypothesis. Starting from simple OLS-based decomposition I turn to quantile regressions and estimates based on panel subsamples to further investigate the role of both observable and unobservable skills. The results show that the premia structure changed across the wage distribution. Nonetheless a large part of inequality - i.e. residual inequality - still remains unexplained.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Società editrice il Mulino in its journal Politica economica.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lilla, Marco, 2007. "Income Inequality and Education Premia," IRISS Working Paper Series 2007-11, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Claudio Quintano & Rosalia Castellano & Antonella Rocca, 2010. "Male-female discrimination: an analysis of gender gap and its determinants," Statistica, Department of Statistics, University of Bologna, vol. 70(2), pages 171-190.
- Marco LILLA, 2008. "Income Inequality and Education from ECHP data," Working Papers 311, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Paolo Naticchioni & Andrea Ricci & Emiliano Rustichelli, 2007. "Wage Structure, Inequality And Skill-Biased Change: Is Italy An Outlier?," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 38/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Paolo Naticchioni & Andrea Ricci, 2009. "Falling Educational Wage Premia in Italy," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 4, December.
- Pasquale Tridico, 2012.
"Italy from economic decline to the current crisis,"
0005, ASTRIL - Associazione Studi e Ricerche Interdisciplinari sul Lavoro.
- Pasquale Tridico, 2013. "Italy: From Economic Decline to the Current crisis," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0173, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Paolo Naticchioni & Andrea Ricci & Emiliano Rustichelli, 2008. "Wage Inequality, Employment Structure and Skill-biased Change in Italy," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 22(s1), pages 27-51, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.