Decomposition of rank-dependent measures of inequality by subgroups
AbstractThe purpose of additive subgroup decomposition is to study the relationship between overall inequality and inequality within and between population subgroups defined by variables like gender, age, education and region of residence. As opposed to the inequality measures that are additively decomposable, the so-called generalized entropy family of inequality measures, the Gini coefficient does not admit decomposition into within- and between-group components but does also require an interaction (overlapping) term. The purpose of this paper is to introduce an alternative decomposition method that can be considered to be a parallel to Lerman and Yitzhakiâs (1985) elasticity approach for decomposing the Gini coefficient by income sources, which means that the elasticity of the Gini coefficient with respect to various income components is treated as the basic quantities of the decomposition method. Thus, rather than decomposing the Gini coefficient or any other inequality measure into a within-inequality term, a between-inequality term and eventually an interaction term, the basic quantities of the introduced method are the effects of marginal changes in variables that are used to specify the population subgroups
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome in its journal Metron.
Volume (Year): LXIII (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Rolf Aaberge & Steinar Bjerve & Kjell Doksum, 2005. "Decomposition of Rank-Dependent Measures of Inequality by Subgroups," Discussion Papers 437, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lerman, Robert I & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1985. "Income Inequality Effects by Income," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 151-56, February.
- Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Factor Components, Population Subgroups and the Computation of the Gini Index of Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 107-15, February.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Mehran, Farhad, 1976. "Linear Measures of Income Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 805-09, July.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1994. "Economic distance and overlapping of distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 147-159, March.
- Lambert, Peter J & Aronson, J Richard, 1993. "Inequality Decomposition Analysis and the Gini Coefficient Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(420), pages 1221-27, September.
- Porath Elchanan Ben & Gilboa Itzhak, 1994.
"Linear Measures, the Gini Index, and The Income-Equality Trade-off,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 443-467, December.
- Elchanan Ben Porath & Itzhak Gilboa, 1991. "Linear Measures, the Gini Index and the Income-Equality Tradeoff," Discussion Papers 944, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Weymark, John A., 1981. "Generalized gini inequality indices," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 409-430, August.
- Stoker, Thomas M, 1986. "Consistent Estimation of Scaled Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1461-81, November.
- Haerdle,Wolfgang & Stoker,Thomas, 1987. "Investigations smooth multiple regression by the method of average derivatives," Discussion Paper Serie A 107, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Rolf Aaberge, 2000. "Characterizations of Lorenz curves and income distributions," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 639-653.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Lerman, Robert I, 1991. "Income Stratification and Income Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(3), pages 313-29, September.
- Giovanni Maria Giorgi, 2005. "Bibliographic portrait of the Gini concentration ratio," Econometrics 0511004, EconWPA.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1983. "Ethically flexible gini indices for income distributions in the continuum," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 353-358, April.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1980. "A single-parameter generalization of the Gini indices of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Dagum, Camilo, 1997. "A New Approach to the Decomposition of the Gini Income Inequality Ratio," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 515-31.
- Giovanni Maria Giorgi & Michele Crescenzi, 2005.
"A proposal of poverty measures based on the Bonferroni inequality index,"
- Giovanni Maria Giorgi & Michele Crescenzi, 2001. "A proposal of poverty measures based on the Bonferroni inequality index," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(3-4), pages 3-16.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1984. "Inequality Decomposition by Population Subgroups," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1369-85, November.
- Aaberge, Rolf, 2001. "Axiomatic Characterization of the Gini Coefficient and Lorenz Curve Orderings," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 115-132, November.
- Hardle, W. & Hall, P. & Ichimura, H., 1991. "Optimal smoothing in single index models," CORE Discussion Papers 1991007, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Stéphane Mussard, 2007.
"Between-Group Pigou Dalton Transfers,"
Cahiers de recherche
07-06, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- D'Angelo, Emanuela & Lilla, Marco, 2007. "Is there more than one linkage between Social Network and Inequality?," IRISS Working Paper Series 2007-12, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2008.
"Decomposition of s-concentration curves,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1312-1328, November.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2006. "Decomposition of s-Concentration Curves," Cahiers de recherche 06-21, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2006. "Decomposition of s - Concentration Curves," Cahiers de recherche 0641, CIRPEE.
- Makdissi, Paul & Mussard, Stéphane, 2006. "Decomposition of s-Concentration Curves," IRISS Working Paper Series 2006-09, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Iván Fernández-Val & Blaise Melly, 2013.
"Inference on counterfactual distributions,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP17/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Iván Fernández-Val & Blaise Melly, 2012. "Inference on counterfactual distributions," CeMMAP working papers CWP05/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Blaise Melly, 2008. "Inference On Counterfactual Distributions," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2008-005, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Blaise Melly, 2009. "Inference on counterfactual distributions," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Magne Mogstad, 2007. "Measuring Income Inequality under Restricted Interpersonal Comparability," Discussion Papers 498, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alessio Farcomeni).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.