A crisis of crisis management? Debates over fiscal adjustments in the European Monetary Union
AbstractIn response to increasing market pressure, EMU countries embarked on a robust consolidation process in 2010 in order to reduce their fiscal deficits and sovereign debt levels. Although – relying on external help in a number of cases – they have been implementing aggressive adjustment programmes, their public debt-to-GDP ratio is unlikely to change or change very much this or next year. Consequently, a debate has evolved over the effectiveness of fiscal tightening.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary) in its journal MNB Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 7 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
fiscal consolidation; fiscal multipliers; confidence; public debt.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brender,Anton & Pisani, Florence & Gagna, Emile, 2012. "The Sovereign Debt Crisis: Placing a curb on growth," CEPS Papers 6951, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Pavlina R. Tcherneva, 2008. "Keynes's Approach to Full Employment: Aggregate or Targeted Demand?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_542, Levy Economics Institute.
- André Sapir & Marco Buti, 1998. "Economic policy in EMU," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8078, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Daniel Gros & Rainer Maurer, 2012. "Can austerity be self-defeating?," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 175-184, May.
- Bergljot Barkbu & Jesmin Rahman & Rodrigo O. ValdÃ©s, 2012. "Fostering Growth in Europe Now," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 12/07, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard Koo, 2011. "The World in Balance Sheet Recession," Ensayos Económicos, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department, vol. 1(63), pages 7-39, July - Se.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maja Bajcsy).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.