The Threat of Capital Drain: A Rationale for Regional Public Banks?
AbstractThis paper yields a rationale for why subsidized public banks may increase regional welfare in a financially integrated economy. We present a model with credit rationing and heterogeneous regions in which public banks prevent a capital drain from poorer to richer regions by subsidizing local depositors, for example, through public guarantees. Under some conditions, cooperative banks can perform the same function without any subsidies; however, they may be crowded out by public banks. We also discuss the influence of the political structure on the emergence of public banks in simple political-economy settings and the role of interregional mobility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics.
Volume (Year): 166 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/jite
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hakenes , Hendrik & Hasan, Iftekhar & Molyneux, Phil & Xie , Ru, 2014. "Small banks and local economic development," Research Discussion Papers 5/2014, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.