Hierarchical Human Capital and Economic Growth: Theory and Evidence
AbstractWe embed an N-level human-capital hierarchy in a growth model and demonstrate that the hierarchical structure generates an optimal investment program with phases of stock depletion and expansion in the stocks of the various levels of humancapital. We then take the implications of the model to data from a diverse sample of countries and find patterns of stock expansion and contraction consistent with the theoretical model. We also illustrate how allowing for hierarchical human-capital formation might contribute to the empirical growth literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics.
Volume (Year): 165 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/jite
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
- O21 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Planning Models; Planning Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rossana Patron & Marcel Vaillant, 2011. "Public expenditure on education and skill formation: are there simple rules to maximise skills?," Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación volume 6, in: Antonio Caparrós Ruiz (ed.), Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación 6, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 23, pages 387-397 Asociación de Economía de la Educación.
- Rossana Patrón & Marcel Vaillant, 2011.
"Public Expenditure on Education and Skill Formation: Is There a Simple Rule to Maximize Skills?,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
0611, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Patron, Rossana & Vaillant, Marcel, 2011. "Public expenditure on education and skill formation: is there a simple rule to maximize skills?," MPRA Paper 46740, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.