Statutory Corporate Tax Rates and Double-Taxation Treaties as Determinants of Multinational Firm Activity
AbstractThis paper analyzes the influence of statutory corporate tax rates on profits and of double-taxation treaties (DTTs) on multinational firm (MNE) activity at the micro level. It provides an assessment of the effects of these profit tax instruments on the extensive and the intensive margin of activity. In particular, we estimate two-part quasi-maximum-likelihood models using panel data on the foreign activity of German MNEs in the decade 1996-2005 and find that statutory tax rates affect MNE activity negatively both at the extensive and at the intensive margin of investment, while DTTs primarily induce a positive effect at the extensive margin.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal FinanzArchiv.
Volume (Year): 67 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/fa
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dominik Gajewski, 2012. "Chosen Tax-Related and Economic Aspects of Choosing the Method of Equity Financing in Relation to Thin Capitalisation in the Countries of OECD," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 6(1), March.
- Dominik Gajewski, 2013. "The Holding Company as an Instrument of Companies’ Tax-Financial Policy Formation," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 7(1), March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.