The Effects of a Bonus Tax on Manager Compensation and Welfare
AbstractThis paper analyses the implications of a bonus tax for compensation components and firm profits, and studies its incidence as well as welfare implications. Using a principal-agent model with endogenous or exogenous reservation wages, we show how the effort-based compensation component changes in the country introducing the tax. Moreover, with exogenous reservation wages, the bonus tax negatively affects profits and dividends such that the incidence falls on the firm's shareholders. With endogenous reservation wages, the results are largely similar.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal FinanzArchiv.
Volume (Year): 68 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/fa
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Doina Maria Radulescu, 2010. "The Effects of a Bonus Tax on Manager Compensation and Welfare," CESifo Working Paper Series 3030, CESifo Group Munich.
- H24 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Personal Income and Other Nonbusiness Taxes and Subsidies
- H22 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Incidence
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- J3 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emmanuel Saez & Joel Slemrod & Seth H. Giertz, 2012.
"The Elasticity of Taxable Income with Respect to Marginal Tax Rates: A Critical Review,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 50(1), pages 3-50, March.
- Emmanuel Saez & Joel B. Slemrod & Seth H. Giertz, 2009. "The Elasticity of Taxable Income with Respect to Marginal Tax Rates: A Critical Review," NBER Working Papers 15012, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christelle Viauroux & Barnali Gupta, 2011. "Is Tax sharing Optimal? An Analysis in a Principal-Agent Framework," UMBC Economics Department Working Papers 09-105, UMBC Department of Economics.
- Peter Katuscák, 2009. "Taxes and Executive Compensation: Evidence from the 1990s," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 55(3-4), pages 542-568.
- Thomas Philippon & Ariell Reshef, 2009.
"Wages and Human Capital in the U.S. Financial Industry: 1909-2006,"
NBER Working Papers
14644, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippon, Thomas & Reshef, Ariell, 2009. "Wages and Human Capital in the U.S. Financial Industry: 1909-2006," CEPR Discussion Papers 7282, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brian J. Hall & Jeffrey B. Liebman, 2000.
"The Taxation of Executive Compensation,"
NBER Working Papers
7596, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gruber, Jon & Saez, Emmanuel, 2002.
"The elasticity of taxable income: evidence and implications,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 1-32, April.
- Jon Gruber & Emmanuel Saez, 2000. "The Elasticity of Taxable Income: Evidence and Implications," NBER Working Papers 7512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helmut Dietl & Martin Grossmann & Markus Lang & Simon Wey, 2010.
"Incentive Effects of Bonus Taxes in a Principal-Agent Model,"
0140, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised Feb 2012.
- Dietl, Helmut M. & Grossmann, Martin & Lang, Markus & Wey, Simon, 2013. "Incentive effects of bonus taxes in a principal-agent model," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 93-104.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Martin Grossmann & Markus Lang & Simon Wey, 2012. "Incentive Effects of Bonus Taxes in a Principal-Agent Model," Working Papers 313, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Hilmer, Michael, 2013. "Fiscal treatment of managerial compensation - a welfare analysis," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79703, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Michael Keen, 2011. "The Taxation and Regulation of Banks," IMF Working Papers 11/206, International Monetary Fund.
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 2011.
"Taxation and Regulation of Bonus Pay,"
STICERD - Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers Series
030, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Voßmerbäumer, Jan, 2012. "Effizienzwirkungen einer Regulierung von Managergehältern durch das Steuerrecht," arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research 125, arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.