Economic Integration and Strategic Privatization in an International Mixed Oligopoly
AbstractThis paper analyzes a mixed oligopoly model of two countries, each with public and private firms competing in an international market. The two-country model is compared with the conventional mixed oligopoly model with a single country to examine how the extent of privatization differs. By this comparison, we obtain a deeper appreciation of whether market integration encourages or limits privatization. The analysis shows that the extent of privatization in the international mixed market with two countries is smaller than that in the mixed market with a single domestic country. We further compare the extent of privatization in the noncooperative equilibrium with that in the cooperative equilibrium to show that further privatization leads to higher welfare.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal FinanzArchiv.
Volume (Year): 64 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/fa
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L32 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Enterprises; Public-Private Enterprises
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wang, Leonard F.S. & Chen, Tai-Liang, 2011. "Mixed oligopoly, optimal privatization, and foreign penetration," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1465-1470, July.
- Kazuhiro Ohnishi, 2010. "Domestic and international mixed models with price competition," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 57(1), pages 1-7, March.
- Leonard Wang & Tai-Liang Chen, 2010. "Do cost efficiency gap and foreign competitors matter concerning optimal privatization policy at the free entry market?," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 100(1), pages 33-49, May.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:30:y:2010:i:1:p:309-314 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.