A Note on Financing Health-Care Reform: Some Simple Arguments Concerning Marginal Tax Burden
AbstractIn Germany economic experts and politicians are proposing a fundamental reform of the health-care system by which the current wage-dependent contributions are replaced by flat-rate insurance premiums. One major reason behind this proposal is the wish to avoid the distortion effects caused by the present form of levying the fees, which works like a wage income tax. The purpose of this note is to show by some simple axiomatics that these hopes may be exaggerated. As social compensation is required, the reform as such does not automatically reduce the distortion effects of the current system. Welfare gains will only be generated by some additional features of the proposed system change, which are briefly discussed at the end of the paper.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal FinanzArchiv.
Volume (Year): 61 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/fa
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gebhard Kirchgässner, 2010. "Die Schweiz als Vorbild? Bemerkungen zur Diskussion um eine Reform des deutschen Gesundheitswesens," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2010 2010-15, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Alexander Kemnitz, 2010.
"A Simple Model of Health Insurance Competition,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3220, CESifo Group Munich.
- Haufler, Andreas, 2004. "Welche Vorteile bringt eine Pauschalprämie für die Finanzierung des Gesundheitswesens? Einige einfache Äquivalenzresultate," Discussion Papers in Economics 440, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Richter, Wolfram F., 2010. "Finanzierung des Krankenversicherungsschutzes: Entgleiste Reformdebatte wieder auf Spur," IZA Standpunkte 29, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wolfram F. Richter, 2009.
"Zur zukünftigen Finanzierung der Gesundheitsausgaben in Deutschland,"
Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Richter, Wolfram F., 2009. "Zur zukünftigen Finanzierung der Gesundheitsausgaben in Deutschland," IZA Standpunkte 15, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dirk Goepffarth & Klaus-Dirk Henke, 2007. "Finanzierungsreform und Risikostrukturausgleich - Was bleibt vom Ausgleichsverfahren?," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 227(1), pages 27-48, February.
- Wolfram F. Richter, 2009. "Germany goes ahead with Health Vouchers," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 7(3), pages 53-60, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.