Migration Plans, Local Fiscal Variables, and Local Economic Conditions
AbstractThe paper examines the effects of local fiscal variables and local economic conditions on migration plans of Norwegian households. The study takes advantage of a unique survey data set in which respondents evaluate a range of local amenities and report whether they intend to relocate. We find that municipal services are important to migration plans. Norwegian municipalities can increase the population share of young households by improving living conditions for children and the quality of schools and cultural services. The estimated effects of personal unemployment, local unemployment, and local wages on migration plans become weaker when amenity variables are included, indicating that capitalization of amenities cannot explain weak effects of local economic conditions on migration.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal FinanzArchiv.
Volume (Year): 61 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/fa
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carlsen, Fredrik & Langset, Bjørg & Rattsø, Jørn & Stambøl, Lasse, 2009.
"Using survey data to study capitalization of local public services,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 688-695, November.
- Fredrik Carlsen & Jørn Rattsø & Bjørg Langset & Lasse Stambøl, 2006. "Using survey data to study capitalization of local public services," Working Paper Series 8106, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.