Wide versus Narrow Tax Bases under Optimal Investment Timing
AbstractThis article compares an ACE system with a CBIT system in an open economy. Using a real-option approach, we show that, if a firm can decide when to invest, a trade-off is found. According to traditional wisdom, a high-income firm investing in an ACE system faces a heavier tax burden at each instant. On the other hand, it finds it optimal to invest earlier, thereby enjoying a longer stream of income. If, given the same tax burden, the latter effect is great enough, the firm will prefer the ACE system. In this article we also run a simulation that shows that preference for an ACE system is a realistic result.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal FinanzArchiv.
Volume (Year): 60 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/fa
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
- H32 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Firm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paolo Panteghini, 2005.
"S-Based Taxation under Default Risk,"
ubs0506, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Meißner, Fabian & Schneider, Georg & Sureth, Caren, 2013. "The impact of corporate taxes and flexibility on entrepreneurial decisions with moral hazard and simultaneous firm and personal level taxation," arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research 141, arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre.
- Gries, Thomas & Prior, Ulrich & Sureth, Caren, 2007. "Taxation of risky investment and paradoxical investor behavior," arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research 26, arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre.
- Mauro Ghinamo & Paolo Panteghini & Federico Revelli, 2010.
"FDI determination and corporate tax competition in a volatile world,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 17(5), pages 532-555, October.
- Mauro Ghinamo & Paolo M. Panteghini & Federico Revelli, 2008. "FDI Determination and Corporate Tax Competition in a Volatile World," Working Papers 0802, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Mauro Ghinamo & Paolo Panteghini & Federico Revelli, 2007. "FDI Determination and Corporate Tax Competition in a Volatile World," CESifo Working Paper Series 1965, CESifo Group Munich.
- Niemann, Rainer & Sureth, Caren, 2009. "Investment effects of capital gains taxation under simultaneous investment and abandonment flexibility," arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research 77, arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.