Failures in Corporate Governance: Can the Corporation Tax Improve Efficiency?
AbstractThe well-known tax results obtained in the traditional model of investment are re-examined in a model of imperfect corporate governance. The corporation tax, the dividend tax and the capital gains tax have unconventional stock market and real effects which operate through the managerial compensation scheme. A risk-averse management has an incentive to overinvest, using the corporation as a savings instrument to enjoy private benefits and insure itself against income risks. Corporation tax may improve corporate governance and investment efficiency but only under small price uncertainty. Under larger price uncertainty, corporate investment operates as an insurance device, and efficiency gains are possible but less likely to materialize.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal FinanzArchiv.
Volume (Year): 56 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3/4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/fa
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marko Köthenbürger & Michael Stimmelmayr, 2013. "Corporate Deductibility Provisions and Managerial Incentives," CESifo Working Paper Series 4549, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rainer Niemann, 2011. "Asymmetric Taxation and Performance-Based Incentive Contracts," CESifo Working Paper Series 3363, CESifo Group Munich.
- Niemann, Rainer, 2007. "Risikoübernahme, Arbeitsanreiz und differenzierende Besteuerung," arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research 28, arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre.
- Ewert, Ralf & Niemann, Reiner, 2012. "Steuern in Agency-Modellen: Mehrperioden- und Multi-Task-Strukturen," arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research 135, arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.