Economic Efficiency in Transition: The Case of Ukraine
AbstractAlthough a market economy is by definition more effective than a centrally planned economy, various countries in transition have faced the problem of economic inefficiency. The aim of this paper is to develop a comprehensive measure of economic efficiency using the production function framework and estimate it for the Ukraine economy. There exist namely a vast amount of indicators that support our hypothesis on the diminishing efficiency of the Ukraine economy in the last years. Our in-depth analysis shows that the diminishing efficiency is a consequence of ineffective investments and innovations as well as of an increasing intensity of materials use.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper in its journal Managing Global Transitions.
Volume (Year): 4 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Easterly, William & Fischer, Stanley & DEC, 1994.
"The Soviet economic decline : historical and republican data,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1284, The World Bank.
- William Easterly & Stanley Fischer, 1994. "The Soviet Economic Decline: Historical and Republican Data," NBER Working Papers 4735, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Costello, Donna M, 1993. "A Cross-Country, Cross-Industry Comparison of Productivity Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 207-22, April.
- Matjaz Novak, 2003. "Analysis of the Nature of Economic Growth of Slovenian Economy," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 1(2), pages 153-167.
- Cezar SCARLAT & Silvia RUCINSKA, 2010. "Some Considerations on Ending the Process of Economic Transition in Romania and Slovakia," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1), pages 169-188.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alen Jezovnik).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.