Inflation targeting in a simple macroeconomic model
AbstractIn this paper, we argue that an explicit inflation-targeting policy is not likely to be a desirable monetary policy rule, even if it were agreed that a lower inflation rate is an important goal of policy. Inflation targeting is not neutral in the short or the long run, and a strict policy will tend to reduce the equilibrium growth rate. In terms of income distribution, a lower inflation target will tend to reduce real wages and profits and increase real interest rates, that is, the return to rentiers. In certain circumstances, it may still be possible to achieve a combination of both higher growth and lower inflation using other types of policy. However, this would actually require lower real interest rates, rather than the higher rates that are traditionally associated with anti-inflation policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Journal of Post Keynesian Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=109348
income distribution; inflation targeting;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00496911 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elisabetta Michetti, & Domenica Tropeano,, 2008.
"Exchange rate policy and income distribution in an open developing economy,"
44-2008, Macerata University, Department of Finance and Economic Sciences, revised Nov 2008.
- Tropeano, Domenica & Michetti, Elisabetta, 2008. "Exchange rate policy and income distribution in an open developing economy," MPRA Paper 6642, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hein, Eckhard & Schoder, Christian, 2009.
"Interest rates, distribution and capital accumulation – A Post-Kaleckian perspective on the US and Germany,"
18223, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eckhard Hein & Christian Schoder, 2011. "Interest rates, distribution and capital accumulation -- A post-Kaleckian perspective on the US and Germany," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 25(6), pages 693-723, November.
- Hein, Eckhard & Schoder, Christian, 2009. "Interest rates, distribution and capital accumulation: A Post-Kaleckian perspective on the US and Germany," IPE Working Papers 04/2009, Berlin School of Economics and Law, Institute for International Political Economy (IPE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.