Balance-of-payments-constrained growth in Brazil: a test of Thirlwall's Law, 1890-1973
AbstractThe paper offers a time-series test of Thirlwall's Law for Brazil during the 1890-1973 period. The results confirm the existence of a long-run relationship between Brazilian gross domestic product (GDP), terms-of-trade, and world income, as Thirlwall's Law predicts. In addition, an error correction model is estimated, which shows that adjusting toward Thirlwall's Law equilibrium explains a substantial part of total variation of real GDP in the short run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Journal of Post Keynesian Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=109348
Brazil; Keynesian growth models; Thirlwall�; s Law;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raphael Rocha Gouvea & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2010.
"Structural change, balance-of-payments constraint, and economic growth: evidence from the multisectoral Thirlwall's law,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 33(1), pages 169-204, October.
- Raphael Rocha Gouvêa & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2011. "Structural Change,Balance-of-Payments Constraint and Economic Growth: Evidence from the Multi-Sectoral Thirlwall’s Law," Anais do XXXVII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 37th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 74, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- A. P. Thirlwall, 2011.
"Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Models: History and Overview,"
Studies in Economics
1111, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011. "Balance of payments constrained growth models: history and overview," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 307-351.
- Habiyaremye, Alexis & Ziesemer, Thomas, 2008. "Export Demand Elasticities as Determinants of Growth: Estimates for Mauritius," MERIT Working Papers 072, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Eva Catela & Gabriel Porcile, 2010.
"Keynesian and schumpeterian efficiency in a BOP-constrained growth model,"
0104, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
- Eva Yamila da Silva Catela & Gabriel Porcile, 2012. "Keynesian and Schumpeterian efficiency in a BOP-constrained growth model," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 34(4), pages 777-802, July.
- Alexis Habiyaremye & Thomas H. W. Ziesemer, 2012. "Export demand elasticities and productivity as determinants of growth: estimates for Mauritius," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(9), pages 1143-1158, March.
- Arslan Razmi, 2005. "Balance-of-payments-constrained growth model: the case of India," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 27(4), pages 655-687, July.
- Christine Carton Madura, 2009.
"Mecanismos kaldorianos del crecimiento regional: Aplicación empírica al caso del ALADI (1980-2007),"
Economic Analysis Working Papers (2002-2010). Atlantic Review of Economics (2011-2013),
Colexio de Economistas de A Coruña, Spain and Fundación Una Galicia Moderna, vol. 8, pages 1-24, May.
- Carton, Christine, 2009.
"Mecanismos kaldorianos del crecimiento regional: Aplicación empírica al caso del ALADI (1980-2007)
[Kaldorian mechanisms of regional growth: An empirical application to the case of ALADI 1980-200," MPRA Paper 15675, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carton, Christine, 2009. "Mecanismos kaldorianos del crecimiento regional: Aplicación empírica al caso del ALADI (1980-2007)
- Jos� Luís Oreiro, 2006. "Capital mobility, real exchange rate appreciation, and asset price bubbles in emerging economies: a Post Keynesian macroeconomic model for a small open economy," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 28(2), pages 317-344, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.