Further Evidence on the Real Interest Rate Parity Hypothesis in Central and East European Countries: Unit Roots and Nonlinearities
AbstractThis paper analyzes the empirical fulfillment of the real interest rate parity (RIRP) theory for a pool of central and east European countries. To do so, we apply the recently developed Ng and Perron (2001) unit root tests, which are corrected versions of existing unit root tests, and the Kapetanios et al. (2003) unit root test, which generalizes the alternative hypothesis to the globally stationary smooth transition autoregression model. We find evidence in favor of the empirical fulfillment of RIRP, particularly when taking into account the possibility of nonlinearities in the real interest rate differential.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Emerging Markets Finance and Trade.
Volume (Year): 46 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111024
central and eastern Europe; nonlinearities; real interest rate parity; unit roots;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pelin Oge Guney & Erdinc Telatar & Mubariz Hasanov, 2012. "Time Series Behaviour of the Real Interest Rates in Transition Economies," Hacettepe University Department of Economics Working Papers 20125, Hacettepe University, Department of Economics.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Soon, Siew-Voon & Boršič, Darja, 2013. "Real interest parity in Central and Eastern European countries: Evidence on integration into EU and the US markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 163-180.
- Claudiu Tiberiu Albulescu & Dominique Pepin & Aviral Kumar Tiwari, 2014.
"A re-examination of real interest parity in CEECs using old and new generations of panel unit root tests,"
- Claudiu Tiberiu Albulescu & Dominique Pepin & Aviral Kumar Tiwari, 2014. "A RE-EXAMINATION OF REAL INTEREST PARITY IN CEECs USING OLD AND NEW GENERATIONS OF PANEL UNIT ROOT TESTS," Working Papers hal-00959475, HAL.
- Öge Güney, Pelin & Hasanov, Mübariz, 2014. "Real interest rate parity hypothesis in post-Soviet countries: Evidence from unit root tests," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 120-129.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.