The Failure of Price Competition in the Turkish Credit Card Market
AbstractThe failure of competition and the consequent high and sticky interest rates in credit card markets have recently been the subject of considerable debate and research. This paper presents the first regression testing for the existence of price competition in a credit card market to be estimated free of dynamic panel bias using recent quarterly data from Turkey. The estimation reveals that even though the effect of the cost of funds on credit card rates is statistically significant, it is very weak. The paper thus provides empirical evidence for the failure of price competition in the Turkish credit card market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Emerging Markets Finance and Trade.
Volume (Year): 46 (2010)
Issue (Month): 0 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111024
banking; credit cards; price competition; system GMM;
Other versions of this item:
- Akin, Guzin Gulsun & Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Kara, Gazi Ishak & Yildiran, Levent, 2008. "The Failure of Price Competition In The Turkish Credit Card Market," MPRA Paper 17770, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- D14 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Personal Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1991. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 50-81, March.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- G. Gulsun Akin & Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Gazi Ishak Kara & Levent Yildiran, 2010.
"Non-Price Competition in Credit Card Markets Through Bundling and Bank Level Benefits,"
562, Economic Research Forum, revised Oct 2010.
- Akin, Guzin Gulsun & Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Kara, Gazi Ishak & Yildiran, Levent, 2008. "Non-price competition in credit card markets through bundling and bank level benefits," MPRA Paper 17768, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sherrill Shaffer & Lorein Thomas, 2007. "A reassessment of market power among credit card banks," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(9), pages 755-767.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & A. Muslim, 2006.
"The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market in Turkey: The New Empirical Evidence,"
2006/09, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Nusret Ahmet Muslim, 2006. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market in Turkey: The New Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 2006/10, Turkish Economic Association.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Müslim, Nusret Ahmet, 2006. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market in Turkey: The New Empirical Evidence," MPRA Paper 5483, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.