Inflation Targeting and Exchange Rate Pass-Through: The Turkish Experience
AbstractUsing a vector autoregression model, we show that the pass-through from imported inflation to domestic inflation has weakened substantially and slowed after the adoption of inflation targeting in Turkey. We argue that this finding is due mainly to several featuresâsuch as enhanced credibility of the central bank, changing behavior of the exchange rate, and a shift in expectation formationâpossibly acquired by the implementation of a successful inflation-targeting regime. These observations suggest that adopting an inflation-targeting regime in itself may help to reduce exchange rate pass-through.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Emerging Markets Finance and Trade.
Volume (Year): 44 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111024
exchange rate pass-through; expectations; inflation targeting; Turkey;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bakis, Ozan & Karanfil, Fatih & Polat, Sezgin, 2012. "Interactions between bank behavior and financial structure: evidence from a developing country," GIAM Working Papers 12-1, Galatasaray University Economic Research Center.
- Andres Felipe García-Suaza & José E. Gómez González, 2011.
"A simple test of momentum in foreign exchange markets,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO
008170, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- José Eduardo Gómez-González & Andrés F. García-Suaza, 2012. "A Simple Test of Momentum in Foreign Exchange Markets," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(5), pages 66-77, September.
- Andres Felipe Garcia-Suaza & Jose Eduardo Gómez, 2011. "A Simple Test of Momentum in Foreign Exchange Markets," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 008230, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Andrés Felipe García-Suaza & Jose Eduardo Gómez González, . "A Simple Test of Momentum in Foreign Exchange Markets," Borradores de Economia 647, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ahmet Benlialper & Hasan Cömert, 2013. "Implicit Asymmetric Exchange Rate Peg under Inflation Targeting Regimes: The Case of Turkey," Working Papers 2013/11, Turkish Economic Association.
- Yusuf Soner Baskaya & Eda Gulsen & Musa Orak, 2010. "2008 Hedef Revizyonu Oncesi ve Sonrasinda Enflasyon Beklentileri," CBT Research Notes in Economics 1001, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Caglar Yunculer, 2011. "Pass-Through of External Factors into Price Indicators In Turkey," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 11(2), pages 71-84.
- Yusuf Soner Baskaya & Tugrul Gurgur & Fethi Ogunc, 2008. "Islenmis Gida Fiyatlarini Belirleyen Faktorler," Working Papers 0809, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Mehmet Yörükoglu & Mustafa Kilinc, 2012. "Globalisation of the interaction between fiscal and monetary policy," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Fiscal policy, public debt and monetary policy in emerging market economies, volume 67, pages 335-350 Bank for International Settlements.
- Yusuf Soner Baskaya & Hakan Kara & Defne Mutluer, 2008. "Expectations, Communication and Monetary Policy in Turkey," Working Papers 0801, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2012. "Fiscal policy, public debt and monetary policy in emerging market economies," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 67, May.
- Ahmet Benlialper & Hasan Cömert, 2013. "Implicit Asymmetric Exchange Rate Peg under Inflation Targeting Regimes: The Case of Turkey," ERC Working Papers 1308, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Dec 2013.
- Ahmet Benlialper & Hasan Cömert, 2013. "Implicit Asymmetric Exchange Rate Peg under Inflation Targeting Regimes: The Case of Turkey," Working Papers wp333, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.